Dirty dirty pool

Jul 6, 2016
Groesbeck Texas
I just put in a 24 round above ground pool. Pool has a sand filter I live in a rural area and have a very slow week well. Had the fire department deliver water, 13,000 gallons. The water is extremely dirty. Had the water tested at local pool store. They say the water is chemically perfect. Any tips on how I can clean pool. I don't know if the fire trucks had any chemicals in them or not

Hey there Hicks :) Welcome!

If its dirt-You just need to let the filter do its job, I bet. DE added to the sand filter may help speed it up- Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter

You have a big enough pool that you need your own test kit. Either the Taylor K2006 or TF-100, both available from TFTestkits.net or via Amazon. The information that a good test kit will give you will save you a mess of money on pool care.

We rarely trust pool store tests (often more inaccurate than accurate!) but tell us what they said about your water:
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

How are you going to sanitize your water? You're going to need some chlorine (bleach is fine) and stabilizer first and foremost. Until you have a test kit I'd add 1/2 gallon of bleach a day while your stabilizer (see Pool School) dissolves. The stabilizing CYA is what protects the FC from the sun which would burn it off otherwise.

Read: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] and yet more- Pool School - Recommended Levels

Holler back with any questions :)

Hmmmm...not sure how anyone arrives at a CYA of "2" but..... we'll assume it basically means non-existent to low.

You need to 1) order the test kit you need
2) Buy a 4# jug of CYA stabilizer from pool store or Walmart. Put about 45 ounces in to a sock and hang in pool to dissolve
3) Go buy some liquid chlorine, aka bleach... 3-4 gallons from H.E.B or Walmart NOT from Lowes or HomeDepot since they store theirs outside. Bad move.
4) Let the filter keep doing its thing, and backwash it when it rises 25% over its baseline pressure.

I would suggest NOT going into that pool as that is high chlorine for an unstabilized pool. Squoosh the sock occasionally to help speed up the dissolving cya. When that is all dissolved you can assume your CYA is about 30 and you can follow this chart for how much FC to keep in it- [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.