Hi Everyone! New to the FORUM and NEW to pools... Had my pool built 10 months ago.. 15,000 gallon pebble tech/River Sand surface, Cartridge filter, Jandy veritable speed pump, inline Chlorinator.. Before everyone yells at me.... I've ONLY found out that COPPER is BAD days ago after an incident..
SO After the pool was completed I had a "FRIEND" tell me to use Copper Sulfate (1-tbs per 1000gal) once a month to keep the water crystal clear.. And I've been adding ROOT Killer from Home Depot every month for 10 months..
Last week I noticed some BLACK stains.. A little googling and I learned about black algae, so ran to WALMART and grabbed a few bags of HTH 4-1 pool shock.. I'm sure YOU ALL know where this going... I poured and walked around the pool quickly and BAMMMMM instant BLACK spots EVERYWHERE the shock touched.., RAN into the house and googled SHOCK and Black stains when the infamous COPPER articles came to light... I then RAN to Leslie's pool supplies and grabbed a 2 lb bottle of Ascorbic acid, ran home poured it all in around the pool.. All the stains did lighten up from BLACK to light brown..
This is the POOL test results & Acid I used..
I've been getting in the pool every day with a wire brush and scrubbing for hours each day.. I also went back and got a 2nd bottle of Ascorbic Acid and when I TESTED in a small place, it got EVEN worse, this time dark brown for a few min, then a redish color for a few min, then yellow.. then back to light brown.. WHAT THE HECK is happening? I'm SWEARING off Copper for sure after a few hrs of reading here.. is there any hope of having my BEAUTIFUL sparkling white NEW pool back???