Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Does my pool have a leak?

1. Back To Top    #1

Boise Idaho

Does my pool have a leak?

Hi I am a first time pool owner as of a month ago and this is my first ever post!
    I am wondering what is a typical amount of water loss that I should be expecting as I have found that I am having to add water every few days to keep the water from dropping below the tile line.
    I marked the water level two days ago and I am down 2" so about an 1" a day in a pool surface area that is about 38x18 feet. This is with no one in the pool - no splashing of water out of the pool - so I could get a better measurement of water loss. Temperature has been in the high 80s.
    Am I losing this much to evaporation or do I have a possible leak?
    I can see some micro-cracking in a few places on the pool floor but it looks like hair-line fractures rather than something that would cause water loss.
    Advice and recommendations on next steps would be much appreciated!
    Thanks Steve
    30k gallon 38'x18' IG Gunite; U.S Motors C55CXKLT-5007 1.5 HP RPM 3450 pump; System3 S8D110 53 ft2 DE filter; SWG Pentair IntelliChlor; STA-RITE SR400 NA natural gas heater; Pentair Legend Platinum cleaning robot; Coverstar CS500; City well Boise ID; Install date unknown 10-20 years max; TFTestkits TF-1002;

2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: Does my pool have a leak?

Welcome to TFP and congrats on the new pool!

1/8"-1/4" per day is typical for evaporation. So, it sounds like a leak. You can do a bucket test to confirm. More on that and leaks here, Pool School - Leak Detection
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach