July 4th Results

MarkTX

Bronze Supporter
Nov 15, 2015
Cypress, TX
Okay, first of all, we had party on July 3rd, not 4th. I was so careful making sure FC = 7, pH = 7.5, etc, water was just right. Party was great, water looked great. Had about 30 people in pool at one time or another. Awesome time.

Today (3 days later) I tested water. FC is ZERO! Dang! I guess everything you hear on TFP is true. Never had it drop that fast. Added one gallon directly, put two more in the LQ. Dang!

That many people in a pool, even spread out over a few hours, is a pretty significant bather load. Next time you have a pool party that large, try bumping the chlorine up higher (10ppm or so) and always test the next day.

The good news is, you caught it early enough that you'll probably recover with no problems. Even if you have to SLAM it, it'll likely be a 24-48hr SLAM.

Good lesson to share for all!

For parties, especially with kids, I always bump before and test right after, adding back to my bump level. I have been known to test and add during a meal break too. We also installed a nice powder room in the garage which is only a few steps from the pool. That has helped a ton. No more long walks into an air-conditioned house.

Just to throw some rough numbers at it - every person-hour of bathing in your 30,000 gallon pool roughly consumes 0.035ppm of FC. So 30 people each swimming for 2 hours would yield an FC demand of -

2 X 30 X 0.035 = 2.1ppm

Every cup of urine is equivalent to roughly 6 person-hours of bather waste so, even if just 3 people out of this 30 pee'd in your pool -

3 X 6 X 0.035 = 0.6ppm

So, you could have lost say 3ppm FC to bather waste. Throw in some organic oxidation demand from people dragging junk in and out of the pool and it's quite possible you could have easily dipped below your minimum for too long.

Just let everyone know by email that you've determined someone pee'd in your pool and next time you'll be deploying the special red dye that catches the culprit. Then, next party, sneak a squeeze bottle with some red food coloring into the pool and get close to someone and deploy the dye. You can all have a good laugh about it....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.