Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: July 4th Results

1. Back To Top    #1

July 4th Results

Okay, first of all, we had party on July 3rd, not 4th. I was so careful making sure FC = 7, pH = 7.5, etc, water was just right. Party was great, water looked great. Had about 30 people in pool at one time or another. Awesome time.

Today (3 days later) I tested water. FC is ZERO! Dang! I guess everything you hear on TFP is true. Never had it drop that fast. Added one gallon directly, put two more in the LQ. Dang!
    30,000 gal free-form IG w/ spa, PebbleSheen Blue Surf, Pentair cartridge filter, Pentair 3 HP Intelliflo, extra pump that is way over-sized for weeping moss rocks, Dolphin Oasis Z5, municipal water, all built Jan-Feb 2016. TF-100, SpeedStir, Liquidator 3/8", borates. My build thread http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-in-Cypress-TX

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: July 4th Results

That many people in a pool, even spread out over a few hours, is a pretty significant bather load. Next time you have a pool party that large, try bumping the chlorine up higher (10ppm or so) and always test the next day.

The good news is, you caught it early enough that you'll probably recover with no problems. Even if you have to SLAM it, it'll likely be a 24-48hr SLAM.

Good lesson to share for all!
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

July 4th Results

One of the more hilarious chem geek threads -

Unusual Chlorine Demand -- Peeing in the Pool
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

4. Back To Top    #4

For parties, especially with kids, I always bump before and test right after, adding back to my bump level. I have been known to test and add during a meal break too. We also installed a nice powder room in the garage which is only a few steps from the pool. That has helped a ton. No more long walks into an air-conditioned house.

5. Back To Top    #5

Just to throw some rough numbers at it - every person-hour of bathing in your 30,000 gallon pool roughly consumes 0.035ppm of FC. So 30 people each swimming for 2 hours would yield an FC demand of -

2 X 30 X 0.035 = 2.1ppm

Every cup of urine is equivalent to roughly 6 person-hours of bather waste so, even if just 3 people out of this 30 pee'd in your pool -

3 X 6 X 0.035 = 0.6ppm

So, you could have lost say 3ppm FC to bather waste. Throw in some organic oxidation demand from people dragging junk in and out of the pool and it's quite possible you could have easily dipped below your minimum for too long.

Just let everyone know by email that you've determined someone pee'd in your pool and next time you'll be deploying the special red dye that catches the culprit. Then, next party, sneak a squeeze bottle with some red food coloring into the pool and get close to someone and deploy the dye. You can all have a good laugh about it....
    Matt

6. Back To Top    #6

LOL Matt, you are evil! I love it.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for all your feedback. The numbers helped a lot to quantify what was/is going on. Live and learn, sigh
    30,000 gal free-form IG w/ spa, PebbleSheen Blue Surf, Pentair cartridge filter, Pentair 3 HP Intelliflo, extra pump that is way over-sized for weeping moss rocks, Dolphin Oasis Z5, municipal water, all built Jan-Feb 2016. TF-100, SpeedStir, Liquidator 3/8", borates. My build thread http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-in-Cypress-TX