water safe to swim?

seedlings

Jul 5, 2016
Saint Joseph, MO
As you may be aware we don't trust pool store test results. For us to give a recommendation we trust you would need to post results from one of the recommended test kits. That being said if I were to believe those numbers then NO it is not safe to swim you need some CYA for the FC to bond to, 20 to 30 ppm for it to be safe.

I am new here, and I keep reading "not safe to swim" with bad water results. What exactly does that mean? I'm in Missouri and we swim in rivers and lakes. Is this pool water less safe than a river or lake? Thanks so much - I'm trying to understand.

CHAD

Lakes and rivers have millions of gallons of water. People still contract diseases from time to time in lakes and rivers. Algae is fine. We don't put chlorine in the water to kill algae. The primary purpose of chlorine in pools is to kill bacteria, viruses and pathogens to prevent person to person disease transmission. Killing algae is just a side benefit.

Lakes and rivers have millions of gallons of water. People still contract diseases from time to time in lakes and rivers. Algae is fine. We don't put chlorine in the water to kill algae. The primary purpose of chlorine in pools is to kill bacteria, viruses and pathogens to prevent person to person disease transmission. Killing algae is just a side benefit.

Thank you for making this a fresh post (apologies for tagging another thread). So, water gets hazardous quickly since the pool is a (very) small, confined body of water.

I totally get it now. Thanks again.

CHAD

Also just a few ppm of chlorine and 0 CYA has many times higher FC than a SLAM level of a pool with the proper FC/CYA ratio because the chlorine has nothing to bond to. From the posts I have read I do not see a consus on the effects of swimming in water with that much FC but why take the risk when balancing the FC/CYA ratio is simple given a proper test kit. If you take a look at post #11 in THIS thread chem geek talks about the ratios he has mentioned it in other posts too this was just the first I found when searching.

Rivers and lakes have an exchange of water taking place. Its not the same water in the same place day in and day out like a pool. In a pool filtration and sanitation take the place of natural water exchange from springs and rivers. Filtration alone will not keep a pool sanitary.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.