Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: how to floc using robotic vacuum

1. Back To Top    #1

how to floc using robotic vacuum

hey guys. Great forum. Just got done killing algae and pool is cloudy- I know floc is not recommended but I have a party coming up and need to clear up fast. I researched floc and it seems you need to turn filter to waste and the use vacuum to pull debris and dump it outside- however I have an Aquabot that does not hook to the circulation system. do I just let the water sit, and then put the Aquabot to work (leave the filter off)? or do I need to have a suction side vacuum to work in conjunction with filter?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: how to floc using robotic vacuum

The method you suggest should be fine.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm a less confident in the aquabot if you're using a vac-to-waste floc product -- it could just cloud up and dissipate the floc, making a mess, getting it into your filter and leaving slimy bits all over that will just reform... based on a recent experiment.

BTW, I don't generally recommend using floc either, but recently had used a floc-level volume of lanthanum chloride so I have in practice actually experienced its behavior

The best way to remove floc is to vacuum to waste manually, very slowly to not redistribute/cloud it up, using the old-school manual pool vac and hose that attaches to the skimmer. If you have a party coming up, you really want to vacuum it completely to waste. Those manual hoses/heads for the skimmer are pretty cheap. In your shoes I'd pick one up.

If you used something like Leslie's Alum, which is a vac-to-waste type, I wouldn't try to short cut the removal. It really needs to go to waste, but the robot action may keep breaking it up instead.
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Swampwoman View Post
    I'm a less confident in the aquabot if you're using a vac-to-waste floc product -- it could just cloud up and dissipate the floc, making a mess, getting it into your filter and leaving slimy bits all over that will just reform... based on a recent experiment.

BTW, I don't generally recommend using floc either, but recently had used a floc-level volume of lanthanum chloride so I have in practice actually experienced its behavior

The best way to remove floc is to vacuum to waste manually, very slowly to not redistribute/cloud it up, using the old-school manual pool vac and hose that attaches to the skimmer. If you have a party coming up, you really want to vacuum it completely to waste. Those manual hoses/heads for the skimmer are pretty cheap. In your shoes I'd pick one up.

If you used something like Leslie's Alum, which is a vac-to-waste type, I wouldn't try to short cut the removal. It really needs to go to waste, but the robot action may keep breaking it up instead.
    that makes sense- the return water coming out of the robot at high speed would probably steer up the sediment around it.