Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hello All

1. Back To Top    #1

Philadelphia, PA

Hello All

Hi everyone!

I just purchased a house at the end of February that has an inground pool. I grew up with a pool so I am semi familiar with pool upkeep. I found these forums by a link from

According to my neighbor the pool was installed about 30 years ago. It is a free form pool shaped to match my property line done by Anthony & Sylvan. I purchased the house as a pre-foreclosure. I got a great deal on the purchase price, but I am finding out the hard way the lack of caring on the old owners part. I was told from the old owner the pool was in good shape but the filter needed to be replaced. Once the show melted I saw the mess he left behind. The pool was drained & uncovered all winter so it stood with 3 feet of swampy water in the deep end. I realized I should not trust a word he said.

I spent early spring draining, shoveling leaves, and cleaning the pool. I just replaced the filter which looks to be original and the pump which was 7 years old (motor seized) with a Hayward Pro Grid D.E. Filter (48 Sq. Ft) and a Hayward Super Pump 1.5 HP. My official opening was this past weekend for Memorial day. I am working on getting my levels squared away. Water is crystal clear and a cool but refreshing 72 degrees.

I am sure I will have tons of questions this year so I wanted to introduce myself.
    30 y/o 16,000 Gal free form IG by Anthony & Sylvan
    48 sq/ft Hayward Pro DE filter
    1.5hp super pump

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Indiana

Re: Hello All

Welcome to TFP. Hopefully the water will warm up soon.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3
    South Carolina

Hi kmfinegan1 and welcome to the forum

When you get all squared away, how about some pix?
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Coastalish 'down easter'

Welcome to TFP!!

I went to high school (Hill) in Pottstown and have many fond memories of Philly

Glad everything's going well, now that you've cleaned out the pool and replaced the pump and filter 8)

I know the pump and filter you have inside and out so, if they ever give you issues, I'll be happy to help tell you exactly what needs be done
    Luv& Luk

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

5. Back To Top    #5
    NE North Carolina

Welcome to TFP! I grew up in Pottstown and also have many fond memories of Phila. You have definitely come to the right place for great pool advice. Enjoy the "new" pool!
    13,000 gal AGP, Hayward X-Stream 100 sq ft cartridge, 1 HP Hayward Power-Flo Matrix Pump, all on two 6-hour on cycles per day. Baquacil to BBB convert.
    "It is necessary for us to learn from others' mistakes. You will not live long enough to make them all yourself." - Hyman G. Rickover

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome! A newb myself to this site but not to pool care I can honestly state there is no better place. Learned so much unlearning what I THOUGHT I knew!

A fellow Philadelphian! I'm transplanted out here in the middle of a cultural wasteland...any chance I can talk you into being my supplier of Tastykakes?

13,100 gal (?) IG Plaster Pool, Rectangular (30 feet long, 11 feet wide at 3 feet deep shallow end, 14 feet wide at 6 feet deep end.)
    Pentair Challenger 1hp 2 speed hardwired pump
    Triton II T60 sand filter
    P153 Intermatic digital timer control
    8 gal Liquidator with 3/8" upgrade