green tinge...

Sep 6, 2015
Syracuse, NY
Same old story, same old song and dance...first summer with the new pool.

Kids in the pool Thursday, rain shower comes through and drops a quick 3/4 inch. Kids in the pool Friday, everything looked good when I went in. Friday after a quick dip I threw the cover on, set filter timer to 3 hours a day and headed to the lake. Tuesday afternoon arrived home hot sweaty and a little fussy, pull the cover off and...say it aint so Joe - Pool is looking a little green. We have a WSG so I set it on 24 hour boost, scrubbed sides and bottom, and vacuumed.

Not much improvement today. Looking for a little direction...

Salt: 3000ppm
FC:12
CC:1.5
CYA: 90
TA: 110
PH: 7.5

Follow this process to kill the algae, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. FC must be maintained above minimum at all times for your CYA, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA], if it drops below minimum the pool will be unsanitary and have increased risk of person to person disease transmission, especially in kids. And algae will grow.

So on Friday, I checked pool math and drained off a reasonable volume of water plus a little for good measure. CYA was about 40 so again checking pool math, it indicated I should add 3 lb, 6 oz of stabilizer. I had a bout 2.5 lb on hand so i added that and started SLAMming. Checking pool math, I added a little over 3 gallons of bleach to get FC up to 24. There must be something I missed, or mis-read or something because when I tested this morning, FC is over 30. So will I have to drain more water out to get FC down? Should I have waited to add stabilizer?

FC 32
CC 0
CYA 60

I had almost the exact same thing happen when I did my slam the other day. Tested, added enough to get to slam, checked an hour or so later and overshot my slam level.
Don't sweat it, the sun will bring it down. Just keep an eye on it till it drops to your desired level then try to hold it for 24 hours at that level.

BTW, at 40 CYA I probably would have let it ride until I was done killing the algae. The problem you might face depending on how you added is a rising CYA that is necessitating an increase in Chlorine to get to slam level.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.