Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Brown walls dirt? Algae?

1. Back To Top    #1

Brown walls dirt? Algae?

I use the BBB method and my water always looks great and my chlorine levels are good but the walls on a little over half my poo(24' round) is always covers with brown stuff. I'm assuming it's dirt and grime and not algae but I don't know any more. It is all over the wall in the direction opposite whichever the return eyeball is pointing. If I brush the walls it comes off and goes into a cloud of circulation until it filters out or settles. I keep my free chlorine between 2-6 and never have any cc on the test (never turns back to pink). So is this normal? Is it dirt or possibly algae? How do I fix it?
    13500 gallon AG (24' round), 100 sf cartridge filter, Hayward 1hp pump, pool 10-15 years old with recently replaced liner

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Brown walls dirt? Algae?

I'm going to step up and ask the proverbial question. Can you post some accurate recent test results?

A picture maybe as well?
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, need to know your CYA level to know if your FC is too low. The best thing to do is an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to see if something is brewing. FC of 2 is a little too low for comfort for me even if your CYA is 30. FC/CYA Chart
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Chlorine was 2 before adding more tonight
    Combined chlorine 0
    Cya is 30
    Ph 7.8

Going to raise to slam levels and do overnight loss test tonight.
    13500 gallon AG (24' round), 100 sf cartridge filter, Hayward 1hp pump, pool 10-15 years old with recently replaced liner

5. Back To Top    #5

It's 13.5 free chlorine tonight. Since I am at slam level should I still only expect it to drop 1ppm or less over night of will it drop more since starting level is higher

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes, 1 or less is a pass. Lots of people do OCLT during SLAM.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

27 drops last night 24 today. Pool school says accuracy is plus of minus 10% when using more than 10 drops so would this be considered a pass or fail?