Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Concerned about CYA level and Chlorine Recommendation

1. Back To Top    #1

Concerned about CYA level and Chlorine Recommendation

I have been using the TFP methodology for several weeks and the water has been super clear. I rely heavily on the CYA chart to determine where to keep my available chlorine levels. My test from a few weeks ago showed CYA at 50 so I was targeting FC of around 6ppm. My most recent test shows CYA has dropped to 40 so I am now targeting 5ppm. I have talked to my pool builder and a couple of people at work who seem to be knowledgeable about pools. All of them are telling me that FC should always be around 1-3ppm and it is not safe to swim with FC above those levels. I also have a vinyl liner pool (which is only two months old) and they are telling me that keeping FC higher than 3 will deteriorate the liner and it will need to be replaced much sooner. I know the TFP method has been very successful for years and years so I was hoping to get some guidance on the safety of swimming with FC above 3ppm and if I should expect my liner to be replaced much sooner.
    Constructed in Spring 2016, 20x40 inground vinyl liner pool; depths from 3.5 to 6.5 feet; 26,000 gallons, Pentair sand filter, Pentair two-speed Whisperflo pump, In-line chlorinator (don't use it though), 125,000 BTU Pentair Heat Pump, Coverstar Automatic Cover, TF-100 Test kit, fill pool with city water.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Concerned about CYA level and Chlorine Recommendation

I am not shocked pool builders and coworkers are not aware of the CYA/chlorine relationship. The chart is proven science and keeping your FC between the minimum and SLAM level will not ruin your liner, equipment or swim trunks.
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

The CYA also acts as a buffer to the harshness of chlorine. If you want to look a bit more into it check this out Certified Pool Operator (CPO) training- What is not Taught
    11 000 gallons, IG, Fibreglass, Monarch Sand Filter, Davey Typhoon C100M 1HP pump, Davey Chloromatic Mc16CTO ESR SWG, Davey Pool Wall Climba Robot, Daisy Solar Cover,
    K-2006

4. Back To Top    #4

Appreciate the responses and I feel better about the safety and quality of the pool.
    Constructed in Spring 2016, 20x40 inground vinyl liner pool; depths from 3.5 to 6.5 feet; 26,000 gallons, Pentair sand filter, Pentair two-speed Whisperflo pump, In-line chlorinator (don't use it though), 125,000 BTU Pentair Heat Pump, Coverstar Automatic Cover, TF-100 Test kit, fill pool with city water.