My algae battle progress (or, "want to see a SLAM?")

May 2, 2016
Central Coast, CA
Getting ready to move into the new house and trying to get the pool ready for the day we land there. Spent some time over the weekend checking out the current state of the pool. Previous owners had a "pool guy" who was there the day before skimming... but apparently not doing much else. Lots of debris, lots of algae. First thing, the starting test results:

Day 0:
FC: 0
CC: 1.5
TA: Acceptable (didn't write it down)
pH: 8
CYA: <30 (black dot still visible)

Lots of yellow on the sides and bottom. Scooped the pool, set up the new robot, and did LOTS of brushing. Threw in the leftover shock packets (old, wet) which may have done more harm than good. This is one day in:

40ZzVhR.jpg

Not awful, but really cloudy. You can see the accent tiles disappear towards the deep end. I actually could not see the drain :eek:

That means one thing - SLAM TIME

Bought 10% bleach, some MA, and CYA for after the SLAM. Aiming for FC of ~12 cause of the low CYA.

Day 1:
Added 1/2 gal MA, 6 gal 10% chlorine. End of day readings:
FC: 12
CC: 0.5
pH: 7.7

Day 2:
Lost my notes. Added some chlorine.

Yesterday (day 3):

FC: 8.5
pH: 7.5

Added 2 gallons of 10%. Noted lots of particulates still, increased pump time from 5 hrs/day to 8 hrs.

Today (day 4):
FC: 7.5
pH: 7.7

Added 2 gallons of 10%, 0.5 gal MA. Looking MUCH clearer, I think we turned the corner:
uEq5RcI.jpg

Questions:
I'm sure I have plenty of FC loss from sunlight with such a low CYA, but I don't want to pump CYA until SLAM is done. Sound reasonable? My plan is to just keep pumping chlorine in until the water's clear and CC is 0. Probably can't do an overnite test since I don't live there yet.

I have an inline tab feeder, I'm not clear on what to do with it. Throw it away and use liquid only? Use non-stabilized tabs? Previous owner left a big bucket of stabilized tabs.

Any other recommendations? Just keep on truckin?

You need some CYA. Otherwise you lose your whole battle to the sun. Shoot for 20 if you want to be conservative.

Save the tabs for vacation or organic stains.

Otherwise sounds like you've got a good handle on things.

There only stabilized tabs aka trichlor. cal hypo tabs are for commercial use only and are an explsion hazard in trichlor tab chlorinators, from what I've read. Use bleach/ liquid chlorine! That's the TFP way! Beautiful pool!:

Also......looking at your numbers and thought I'd add that during SLAM you really don't "have" to test PH (save your reagents). And the PH test is generally considered skewed when FC is above 10.

Your pool is looking great

Oh you only THINK it looks good now! Wait until you see it looking like a jewel :sun: or you look out and think the water is gone because it is SO clear!

You are on the right track. Keep on keeping on and you will only have to move the boxes then jump in the pool to cool off!

Kim:cat:

Day 5:
FC: 8.5
CYA: dot visible all the way

Added 4 gallons 10%, 5 lbs CYA. Making double-sure we're above mustard shock level. Instructions said to broadcast CYA in the deep end, which was interesting. Pump time increased to 24 hrs.

uh oh.........we put the CYA in a sock (like you wear) and hang it in front of the return and squeeze it every once in a while to help it dissolve.

Are you home to go out and brush and mix up the CYA in your pool? I would hate for it to mess up your plaster. At least it is not a vinyl liner. Maybe thrown you robot in there to get it off of the floor. Just don't back wash for a couple/few days to allow it to dissolve and mix in good from the sand.

Kim:cat: (ONE day the pool companies will "fix" their directions)

Days 6-8:
Spent day 6 at FC=15 shock level. CC went to 0 on day 7, stopped adding chlorine. Brushed CYA powder around, it dissolved quickly. Perhaps it got sucked up by the main drain?

Day 9:
FC=6
CC=0
pH=7.7
TA=200
CYA=33-34

0L3NDnb.jpg

Pool is now sparkling. TA is high which I think is accounting for the pH drifting up, seem like +0.05 every day or so. CYA obviously need to go up because of the full sun loss. OCLT was good but I lose loads of FC during the day. I'll deal with that once I'm moved in -- for now, things are looking GREAT! Thanks, TFP!

If anyone wonders how long a slam takes, send them here. 9 days start to finish. I think some less-knowledgable poolgoers would even call my "before" pictures acceptable.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We will work on tweaking your levels when you move it. It is easy but you need to be able to be there a couple/few times during the day to test and adjust.

That looks awesome! So clear! Wait until you look out at the water and wonder where it when :shock: did that one time here!

Kim:cat:

............ Noted lots of particulates still, increased pump time from 5 hrs/day to 8 hrs..................
Pool is looking great!

One thing I noticed is that you are only running the pump 8 hrs. During a SLAM it is recommended to run the pump/filter 24/7 to keep the water well mixed and circulated.

Also, seeing that you were only testing/dosing once a day I would have initially raised my CYA to a solid 30-40ppm to help protect it from the sun, especially if you are in Southern CA (your location doesn't specify & CA is a big state).

Dom

Thanks for the good feedback, yeah I'm looking forward to moving in so I've got full control over testing & nursing it up to perfect levels. Right now my parents are stopping by once a day and they text me the levels they get with my k-2006 and I text them back what to do. I showed them how to use the test kit, plus they have a spa and we used to have a pool many years ago so some of the muscle memory is there :) It's been a team process for sure but I'm super proud of what we've been able to accomplish with the help of TFP and text messages!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.