Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Upgrade to iAquaLink

1. Back To Top    #1

Upgrade to iAquaLink

We have the AquaLink PDA system, and while we like it okay enough, I would like something more "modern", something I can control with my phone or tablet and will be much easier to read with my old eyes! We are looking into upgrading to the iAguaLink and according to their website, we would need the iAQUALINK 2.0 UPGRADE KIT iQ20-A which is just the iAquaLink 2.0 Web Connect Device. Has anyone done this or have this? I am also worried about warranty issues if we DIY.

- - - Updated - - -

My PB just told me we also need the control panel in order to upgrade. How does one go about finding out what model/version of the AquaLink PDA I have?
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Upgrade to iAquaLink

Depends on the age of your mainboard. Revision R or later only need the webconnect device IIRC. Jandy,has a good tutorial as to how to check which version you have. I did the upgrade myself from an rs-8 and one touch wireless controller. Way better and faster response times than the old system. It's nice to vbe able to control the pool. From anywhere in the world!

the complete set up is $600 and should take a Jandy qualified rep about 2 hours to install if they are any good. Just be aware that if you install it yourself, they won't warranty it.

here's the document explaining on how to check which version you have and what model you need:

http://www.jandy.com/~/media/zodiac/.../sa/sa6456.pdf
    18,000 gunite pool/spa combo. Pebble tec, iaqualink rs8, cl580 filter, aquapure 1400, 400k btu lx heater, 10 solar panels, jandy 1hp, 1 1/2hp, and 2hp stealth pumps for circ, spa, waterfall

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks. I see what that brochure says but another Jandy brochure says that if you have the PDA rev 6.0 or higher you only need the web connect device. It's on the last page. So where is the tutorial on how to determine which revision I have? We have only had the PDA about 3 months.

http://www.jandy.com/~/media/zodiac/.../sl/sl6458.pdf

I apologize if I'm being a bit dense. The webconnect device only is half the cost.
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

When you power up the remote, it should tell you. If your aqualink is 3 months old, I would think you should only need the IQ20-A
    25K aggregate IG, Intellipro, FNS48, Polaris 360, PG2000 fiber optic light source

5. Back To Top    #5

I see where the tutorial is, but I don't seem to have a diagnostics option under the systems menu on my PDA. When it first comes on, it says "firmware 7.1.0." Is that it?
    Marla

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by Marlahoutex View Post
    I see where the tutorial is, but I don't seem to have a diagnostics option under the systems menu on my PDA. When it first comes on, it says "firmware 7.1.0." Is that it?
    Yep. Sounds like all you need is the antenna. You can do it yourself. Shouldn't take more than an hour if you can read directions. This includes a snack break.
    25K aggregate IG, Intellipro, FNS48, Polaris 360, PG2000 fiber optic light source

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks Poolman! I'm all in for snack breaks!
    Marla

8. Back To Top    #8

I have both the PDA and Iaqualink....Wanted waterproof device around pool and then wanted to be able to control pool from my phone when not at home. Nothing better than firing up the hot tub so it is ready for you while you are at dinner. It was 3 years ago and it wasn't an upgrade. It was a whole new control board to do both.
    43 x 19 Gunite Pool w/ spa and fire pit, 19,000 gallons, Pebble Sheen Aqua Blue finish, Jandy 2 HP VS E-pump, Jandy 580 sq ft Cartridge Filter, Jandy LXI 400k Heater, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG, 4 Jandy LED color lights, Aqualink PDA and Iaqualink, Polaris 280 with Booster Pump. Polaris 9550 Robot Cleaner. 1 HP Silencer Air Blower for Spa http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...NAL-INSPECTION

9. Back To Top    #9

If you have the PDA I believe you need the mainboard upgrade (from what I can interpret from the Jandy site. To be candid, I had the one touch wireless controller and when I upgraded to iaqualink, I retired it. It is frustratingly slow compared to the web app and I have the multibutton spaside remote so never far away from the ability to control the pool, waterfalls, lights, etc.
    18,000 gunite pool/spa combo. Pebble tec, iaqualink rs8, cl580 filter, aquapure 1400, 400k btu lx heater, 10 solar panels, jandy 1hp, 1 1/2hp, and 2hp stealth pumps for circ, spa, waterfall

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Rossterman View Post
    If you have the PDA I believe you need the mainboard upgrade (from what I can interpret from the Jandy site. To be candid, I had the one touch wireless controller and when I upgraded to iaqualink, I retired it. It is frustratingly slow compared to the web app and I have the multibutton spaside remote so never far away from the ability to control the pool, waterfalls, lights, etc.
    looking at the installation manual it shows this: image.jpg
    It seems to me that a main board isn't necessary with the appropriate revision. I would like to have both the pda and the iLink and it would be nice to know for sure before $300
    Build Video 2016 -- Solar Pad 20.5K gunite (37'x15') rectangle (3.5'-7') deep-- MicroFusion Laguna finish -- Jandy VS pump, cartridge and iAqualink RS -- Polaris 360 Black -- 2 Laminar jets -- 2 nichless 30w color led -- 550sq/ft Heliocol solar -- Soft water auto fill -- Stenner 17gpd

11. Back To Top    #11

Maybe I should just call Jandy and find out.
    Marla

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

The captain is correct and his screenshot backs it up. PDA and Iaqualink can cohabitate with the proper revision, which it sounds like you have.

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks!
    Marla

14. Back To Top    #14

Thanks for clarifying. Reading their brochure it wasnt too clear!

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Rossterman View Post
    Thanks for clarifying. Reading their brochure it wasn't too clear!
    From what I understand is the aqualink 20-A only allows ON/OFF from the phone app, no settings. The PDA is still the controller and the phone app is the slave. If you upgrade to the Aqualink 20-RS, the phone is the controller and the PDA only can ON/OFF functions with the phone app changing the settings and all other functions. Is this true? Preference of either of these two different functions would be the reason why you would buy one over the other. About to make the purchase - so any advice would be great - along with any help/hints on installation.