Terrible pressure from spa jets - does this solution sound right?

lands

Apr 19, 2016
Redondo Beach
Hi all,

Since we purchased our house a few years ago, the spa jets have never had good pressure. On feels like a strong garden hose and the others are worse.

I just had a repair person out who confirmed that the filter was clean so that wasn't it.

I was told that the only other cause could be blockage in the line, and to have it blown. He said that normally that from the Venturi (line? I forget the word he used - described it as having holes in the top to take in air) you could hear air flowing in/through but he couldn't hear anything.

1. Does this all make sense?
2. Any other possible causes come to mind?
3. If blowing the lines is the next step, what does that involve?

I really appreciate the help. TFP has been an incredible resource.

L

Could be blockage in the lines. To clear the lines, you have to remove the jet nozzles within the spa wall and then flush the lines.

But it could also be a bad design. We see a lot of those.

What make/model pump do you have? If you don't know post of picture of the entire pump and motor label.

What is the filter pressure when the spa jets are running?

How many jets are in the spa?

Thanks for the reply.

For the pump/motor, I only have a picture of the second motor (I have two - one for a waterfall feature). I remember the main motor saying 2.4HP on the top. Here's what the second motor says, which may be similar: Hayward / A.O. Smith 2HP 3450RPM.

If it's a clue, the repair man said he saw the filter pressure change when switching to the jets (I think he said it raises). I'm not sure what the pressure runs at normally, but I think it's at 20?

Does clearing the lines involve draining the water below the jets? Does it blow junk into the pool? Costly? (sorry for all the questions).

EDIT: Just thought I'd add that after reading a few related articles, there is a lot of mentions of air/bubbles. That of course makes sense. It sure seems like there is no bubbles coming out of any of my jets. I never really thought of it, but it's the combo of fast water and air that makes the "volcano" like experience. The top water in my spa is darn near flat.

Does clearing the lines involve draining the water below the jets? Does it blow junk into the pool? Costly? (sorry for all the questions).
Yes, no, no

You can do it yourself if you have a long socket wrench (usually 9/16").

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.