Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sand or cartridge filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Sand or cartridge filter

Currently I have the intex SWG with catridge filter all in one. Its mostly my small dog and 2 adults who use our tiny pool for cooling off here inTucson....is there any advantage to having a sand filter instead of cartridge on my small 10' x 30" pool?
    1200gal intex 10' x 30" round metal frame vinyl above ground pool, intex swg with 12"sand filter, tf-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sand or cartridge filter

The Intex sand filter is a lot better than the cartridge filter. And it will be big enough when you upgrade to a bigger pool next summer.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you

- - - Updated - - -

What size sand filter do I need...
    1200gal intex 10' x 30" round metal frame vinyl above ground pool, intex swg with 12"sand filter, tf-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Why would you suggest the sand is "better" than the cart? The cartridge will filter more finely, no???
    COMPLETED BUILD THREAD - 15'x29' rectangular offset shotcrete pool; 14,100 gal; 5'x7' raised spa with 400k btu fire feature; 7' spillover; 25' leuder stone raised bond wall w/waterfall; Pentair SWG; Pentair VS (pool); Pentair 3/4hp feature pump; 1hp spa blower; Pentair Cartridge filter; Pentair “Easy Touch 8” wireless; Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot; Solar Hydronics iSwim solar panels; Mansard Screen Enclosure; walnut travertine deck; 1 very happy kiddo.

5. Back To Top    #5

Not the Intex cartridge filter. It is less than bueno.

The smaller one is fine, but bigger is always better with filters.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Why are you not considering a DE filter? it is the BEST filtration and they aren't really that hard to clean. I dont backwash at all and only clean/replace the DE 2-3 times a year unless we get a lot of rain. It cost me 10 bucks in DE and about 30 min total.
    7-10 year old In ground 20,000 gal, Aquabright ecofinish W/ Spa, waterfall and infinity jet, 60 sq foot DE filter, Single speed pump, Racer cleaner

7. Back To Top    #7

OP has an Intex Pool. Intex does not make a DE filter.
    TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

DE filters are more expensive arent they? This our third year with this little pool. We dont want to spend alot of money, but upgrading to a sand filter is not that expensive. I found one for $98.00.