Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Why does the test tube get cloudy?

1. Back To Top    #1

Why does the test tube get cloudy?

Hey ALL
    So I over see a pool at a YMCA. Where we test the pool at least 4 times a day. However after only a month of use the tube that comes in the testing kit gets cloudy.(I am talking about the walls of the actual tube, not the water). It is a Taylor kit K2006C.
    Is there something that I can do to prevent this?
    Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Why does the test tube get cloudy?

Just clean the tube inside with a bleach solution. It should be fine.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Its cause those reagents are real, live chemicals. For example the CYA reagent is melamine. Isn't that like plastic??? I dunno...?

I've used vinegar or muriatic acid before to clean them out. Most days now I always grab a paper towel with the test kit and wipe them out before storing again. It helps.

I only use the MA when I'm also putting it into the pool so I just pour a skosh in and let it sit then add it to the pool with the rest.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks I will try that!

5. Back To Top    #5

Duuhnese

Ditto what YippeeSkippy said about the paper towel mention. I read that tip on this forum a while back and since I've been wiping out the inside of the vial with a paper towel (after rinsing with tap water after testing), I haven't needed to do a Bleach or MA soak to clear the film inside the vial.
    - Pool Type: 15k Gal Gunite IG non-SWG / Built 1988
    - Pump: Pentair Challenger / Sweep Pump: Letro Model LA01N .75HP Single-speed / 6 hrs-day (1 turnover)
    - D.E. Filter: OEM: Nautilus (Pentair) #NS 36 / 36 Sq Ft / D.E. Charge: 3.6 Lb
    - Pentair 4-wheel Sweep LL505G - Booster Pump runs ~2 hrs/day