Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Vinyl Liner and Bleach

Vinyl Liner and Bleach

Stopped in at my local pool store yesterday and received the following advice. "Bleach will damage your VL, you shouldn't use it" Is this true?
    20K gal.
    Hayward S-244T sand filter
    IG vinyl

Re: Vinyl Liner and Bleach

No. In fact, you are much more likely to damage your liner using other Pool Store chlorine products inappropriately followed by improper maintenance/water balance.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

I believe any kind of chlorine that stays in contact with the liner (e.g. powder sitting on the bottom) is not good. If you pour the bleach slowly in front of a return jet with the pump on, it will quickly disperse to the point of being harmless.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

That's a good point Paul, I should have elaborated.

For example, if one were to take a bag of dichlor shock or cal-hypo and "broadcast" it over the pool (common instructions) the granular chlorine could settle on the liner, causing damage. Use of trichlor and dichlor products lower PH and if the PH is routinely too low over long periods the liner can become brittle.

Using bleach is perfectly safe, just pour it slowly in front of the return.

One should not add bleach or any other chemical without the pump running or some form of circulation to prevent "puddling" on the bottom.
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

That's what I thought, thanks guys.
    20K gal.
    Hayward S-244T sand filter
    IG vinyl

Yet another one of my questions answered. Thank you.
    24' AG 13,600 Gallons
    1.5 HP pump, 19' sand filter

Also, try *accidently* dropping a puck onto a vinyl liner.

You'll end up with a nice big white bleached out spot if you don't get it very quickly! Talk about ruining a beautiful liner!!!
    ❄Closed❄
    24' Sharkline
    Solid Cover
    ❄⛄❄⛄❄⛄❄

Quote Originally Posted by Casey
    Also, try *accidently* dropping a puck onto a vinyl liner.

You'll end up with a nice big white bleached out spot if you don't get it very quickly! Talk about ruining a beautiful liner!!!
    Casey...happened to me last summer sister in law was taking care of pool for me...I had this cheap plastic floater with a frog on top for a handle...she grabbed to frog to put another puck in and the lid broke off and the floater tipped and part of a puck maybe 1/8 of it fell on the pool. I always tell people the only thing that ever damaged the liner of my pool was something the pool stealer told me to put in my pool. Since then BBB all the way all the time.
    Beave
    Aqua Leader 24ft Round AG Wil-Bar Influence w/54 inch walls 13,500 gallons
    Swimline J-Blue Opal Liner, 1 4X20 Fafco Solar Bear Solar Heater
    Hayward 2 HP Swim Pro Voyager Pump Micro 150 with 4 way timer
    Swim Pro Voyager Filtration System with Hayward ABS Pearl wide mouth skimmer

I did it too!
    ❄Closed❄
    24' Sharkline
    Solid Cover
    ❄⛄❄⛄❄⛄❄

Anything done in moderation is okay. To stay on the safe side, always check with the manufacturer of your product.

This lady's/friends pool I'm taking care of has "stripes" on the vinyl and almost completely white vinyl in the deep end.

I guess her husband was just throwing the shock in instead of mix/pour...
    ~45Kg Pool with attached Spa, NSP-72 DE, Minmax 400 Heater, Tahoe Blue Pebbletech, Jandy SWG via Aqualink RS-8, The Pool Cleaner (black)
    Pumps: X3 Hybrid Pump (switches to SPA), 2HP Spa (additional, when SPA is on), and a 1HP For Waterfall
    8, 4x12 Solar Panels on the roof of the pool-house (~12' up)
    CAPTAIN JAMES T. KIRK: "I'M SORRY. I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF HOW AWESOME I AM" (Thanks to TFP!)

Quote Originally Posted by Aidan Weisz
    Anything done in moderation is okay. To stay on the safe side, always check with the manufacturer of your product.
    Um, I'd disagree. To say "Anything done in moderation is okay" is oversimplifying to the point of being wrong. For example, NEVER put Muratic acid in to the skimmer. It's oversimplifying things that gets novice pool owners in trouble with their pool chems. "A little Dichlor won't hurt" without testing their CYA level first, or "just throw in some algaecide" which could lead to copper staining, or from one pool owner to a pool owner noob, who is experiencing a green swamp after their first opening..." oh, just throw in some bags of shock, then floc it, then use clarifier. That's what I always do."

And, some of the manufacturers actually have literature that says up to 200PPM of CYA is acceptable. HA!

....sorry I'm not trying to pick a fight, but I just can't agree with your statement.

Anyway, Welcome to TFP.