Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Does the brand of D.E. powder matter?

1. Back To Top    #1

Does the brand of D.E. powder matter?

Hello everyone,
    2 quick questions:
    1. is there considerable difference or preference for one brand of DE powder for my DE filter or another?
    I've been buying the Splash brand just because the prior owner used it. This is the one I get:
    D.E. Swimming Pool Filter Powder - 24 LB Box Diatomaceous Earth - Hydropool.com Item AAA-211

Amazon carries different brands that are less expensive.

2. Also, for my filter Fns Plus, I use 6lbs of DE after each backwash. Is that a proper amount? Or too much? Can't seem to find this info. Thanks!
    24k gallon plaster pool; Pentair FNS Plus DE Filter; Polaris 380; Essex county, NJ

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Does the brand of D.E. powder matter?

As long as it is intended for pool use any brand is fine. They do have food grade DE and insecticide grade DE so make sure you don't buy those.

How large is the filter? Here is a copy of the owner's manual http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/FNSPlusOM.pdf
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Does the brand of D.E. powder matter?

Thanks zea3!
    24k gallon plaster pool; Pentair FNS Plus DE Filter; Polaris 380; Essex county, NJ