Sta-Rite SR200NA control issue

Greetings. I have been running the above heater for approximately ten years or so since I put my pool in. Beyond a warranty issue involving the heater coil it has been extremely reliable. I discovered today however a problem and am looking for advice. I notice that after an on/off cycle, the heater control display is now defaulting to "spa" in terms of temp control as opposed to "pool" sometimes with crazy numbers being posted i.e. "168" and even 200+ showing in the display. This is accompanied at times by the heater running even though the actual water temperature is above where I keep it set (85). If I push the "pool" button on the touch panel, the display goes back to its normal mode of a realistic temperature being shown and functions properly, coming on below 85 and and turning off once set point is reached. While the filter is running the unit stays set to "pool" but any time it is turned off and back on, the "spa" led comes on and the problem repeats. The attached photos are taken immediately after startup (spa light on, temp shows "80" - heater NOT running) then when I push the "pool" button the temp display correctly "90" and the LED is not lit. Set points do not function up or down when the spa light is on. If I raise the set temp over 90 (in pool mode) the heater comes on. These photos were taken immediately in sequence after startup. Note that the pool does NOT have a spa. It seems to be a control board issue to me but I thought I should seek advice before investing $200 in a new board. Is it also possible that the touch pad board is to blame? Thanks in advance!

It could be one or several things. Just out of curiosity, what happens if you press the HEATER OFF button and then power your pump off? Does the heater come back on when you power up the pump or do you need to push the pool or spa button? I would hope you would need to push the pool or spa button. It could be the board. Also the temps showing a high number could be the board or the thermistor acting up. Only way to know is to replace one or both.

Thanks Paul. I actually waited an hour to speak with a Pentair Tech rep and he walked me through some diagnostics. It seems to be the touch pad which is good compared to replacing the control board. I have one on order will advise if it was the problem. And to answer your question, the unit comes back on when the filter starts up. The problem is it keeps defaulting to spa as opposed to pool, as if you are there selecting spa when it spins up. He thinks its a fault as in closed spa switch as if you had your finger on the button.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.