Slam questions;

Jun 29, 2016
asheboro NC
Hi I've been in my slam process for 2 weeks, I can see the bottom in the 3ft and maybe 4 1/2 in the deep. My f is going between .5 and 2.1.. my cya is 30 and I've gone through 6 to 8 gallons of clorax a day... should I try to get the cya up? It is getting costly and I'm praying it will be clear soon. Any suggestions or help? Thanks

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Can you confirm please which test kit you are using?

For your SLAM to work properly, remember that with a CYA of 30, your FC "SLAM" level is"12". So you need to increase and keep the FC level at 12 as much as possible until you pass all 3 SLAM requirements (link below). Consistency in the FC is much better than spikes & dips in the FC level throughout the day. And for bleach, you can shop around for the best price. Just about any brand of bleach will work, including generic brands. Just make sure to never use any splashless or scented bleaches.

Welcome to TFP!

If your FC is between 0.5 and 2.1 then it doesn't sound like you are following the SLAM process here, SLAM Process. Are you following all of the steps listed? How often? What are your latest test results?

There is nothing more important than current valid test results. Here's what we need.

FC - Free Chlorine
CC - Combined Chlorine
pH
TA - Total Alkalinity
CH - Calcium Hardness
CYA - Cyanuric Acid (stabilizer)
Borates - (if you are using borates)

Oh, so you're saying the .5 - 2.1 was your overnight loss perhaps? Well, still sounds like you need to continue the SLAM. But it does raise a question .. how are you testing your FC? You should be doing it like this:
10 ML water sample with one heaping scoop of powder. Mix and count drops until clear, then divide that number by 2. Example: 24 drops = FC of 12.

The PH test is not valid when FC is above 10 ppm. Please update your signature to show whether your pool is plaster, vinyl or fiberglass. Your CH might be too low.

Good SLAM numbers. Slightly high on the FC (12), and I don't see your CC, but okay for now. An FC of 12 should be plenty to do the job, and you can always post CC some other time. No rush. Also make sure to review the SLAM page every day or so to ensure you're doing all the other tasks on there. Lastly, if you've not cleaned your filter in a while, you may consider doing a Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter as well.

I have been only able to check and add 2 times per day, I'm trying to get to this more often now... thank you for your help! I've bought so much bleach in the past 2 weeks they can't keep in in stock! I'm afraid they think I'm using it for something "shady" LOL

- - - Updated - - -

should I add chemical to make CH Higher? Pooldv?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.