Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replace Jandy Stealth with Hayward Super II?

1. Back To Top    #1
    Katy, TX

Replace Jandy Stealth with Hayward Super II?

My 10 year old SHPM2.0 Stealth pump is leaking and the motor is rattling so I shut it down and researching replacements. I have researched this and suffering from "TMI". I have narrowed it down to replacing with the same or a Hayward Super II SP3015X20AZ single speed*. In a nutshell my questions are as follows:

1. I apparently need a "high head" pump like my current one. I have not calculated Total Head but do have in ground cleaning long pipe runs, 2 skimmers, and SPA. Does this Hayward qualify?
    2. Current pump is 2HP Uprated total 2.2 HP. Hayward is Maxrated 2HP total
    3. Will this work with my fully automated Jandy Aqualink system? Will any programming be required or does it just send an on/off signal to the pump leads?

*Cost is an issue as we will sell this house in a year, plus the Hayward is a smaller form factor that will correct a bad original install where the pump blocks the filter drain.

Appreciate your advice
    30k Gal, IG, PebbleTec, Jandy: CL460 Cartridge Filter, SHPM2.0 Pump (Filter+Spa), SHPM1.5 (Waterfall), spill-over SPA, PLC1400 SWG, LXi400 Heater. Polaris Caretaker Infloor Cleaning system, Jandy PDA-PS-8 remote, Taylor K-2006 Test kit

2. Back To Top    #2
    Pleasanton, CA

Re: Replace Jandy Stealth with Hayward Super II?

1. You need a high head because of what, the spa? Compare the head curves between the pumps. If they are about the same, they will perform the same.

2. Don't look at HP, it isn't a good predictor of performance. Focus only on the head curves.

3. It should. All controllers will power on and off a pump via the AC power relays. No control signals.

The pump you chose is a bit smaller than the Stealth so you might want to consider the Super II SP3020X252AZ. It is also a two speed so when not running the spa, you can save a lot on energy costs.

But why not just replace your pump's current motor? Much cheaper. B2983
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner

3. Back To Top    #3

Martinez, CA

Re: Replace Jandy Stealth with Hayward Super II?

Rebuilding the stealth is actually pretty easy. If you really want to keep costs down, just replace motor bearings, pump seal, and pump housing/backplate gasket bd you will be good as new for under $100.
    18,000 gunite pool/spa combo. Pebble tec, iaqualink rs8, cl580 filter, aquapure 1400, 400k btu lx heater, 10 solar panels, jandy 1hp, 1 1/2hp, and 2hp stealth pumps for circ, spa, waterfall