Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blue Streaks After Shocking!

1. Back To Top    #1

Blue Streaks After Shocking!

Shocked Pool Last night and this morning there are blue streaks on bottom that brush will not remove!

Any ideas?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Blue Streaks After Shocking!

Vinyl, plaster or other?
    25 + year pool owner. Current pool (going on 11th year) - 38K gallon in ground Gunite/White Plaster, Spillover Spa, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward 450k BTU NG Heater, Hayward Goldline Aqua Logic control with T-Cell-15 Salt Water Cell, Dolphin Explorer.
    You Need: Bleach, a A Test Kit & a Bookmark to "Pool School". Now what's your question?

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

What type of "shock" did you use? It might have had metals in it. Here we like to use Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

But first you need to read
    Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

If possible, a picture can be extra helpful.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

4. Back To Top    #4

I used liquid bleach, and the pool is plaster.

I used a decent amount of algaecide a few months ago but why would the staining just show up?

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Welcome to the Forum!

Please add your signature and if possible add some pictures of the areas. Please provide us a detailed description of the events that led up to the streaks and answers to some of the previous questions. Thanks!
    14,700 gallons IG Pool Vinyl Liner - Octal Circulation System
    Hayward Pro-Series 350 LB. Sand Filter Model # S270T - 2" Plumping
    Hayward CL2002 Chlorinator - Hayward Super Pump 2 HP Model # k48m2n111
    Hayward AQR9 SWG 25K Salt Cell & TF-100 Test Kit + Speed Stir
    Gulfstream HE125RA - 117K BTU Heat Pump - Date of Build is 11-2013

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Knighaw View Post
    I used liquid bleach, and the pool is plaster.

I used a decent amount of algaecide a few months ago but why would the staining just show up?
    Because some algaecide has copper in it. In a high chlorine environment, the copper will turn blueish-green (think the Statue of Liberty or an old penny).

There's a good chance this blue streak is oxidized copper.
    25 + year pool owner. Current pool (going on 11th year) - 38K gallon in ground Gunite/White Plaster, Spillover Spa, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward 450k BTU NG Heater, Hayward Goldline Aqua Logic control with T-Cell-15 Salt Water Cell, Dolphin Explorer.
    You Need: Bleach, a A Test Kit & a Bookmark to "Pool School". Now what's your question?

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks Mike-

What do you recommend to test the copper level and remove it?

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry the pool has been a bit cloudy and even shocking isnt getting rid of it 100%.

Could this be from to copper as well?

IMG_0155.jpg

8. Back To Top    #8

Honestly. It's a bit controversial topic around here and I don't feel like getting attacked on an open forum. There's a member, SwampWoman (I think that's the exact username) on here who is very knowledgeable on metal removal. Her opinion is well respected. If I ever suspected a metal problem in my pool, I would def reach out to her.

First is to actually determine Copper is the culprit. Do you know the exact brand algaecide you used? So we can check the ingredients. Then I would get a water sample to get tested fro any metals. Not tested by a pool store, but by a real water treatment place. Like a company that sells and services water softeners.

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks, I will do so.

Can copper cause water cloudiness as well?

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

No, it won't cause cloudiness. Generally organics, such as algae cause it to be cloudy. Do you have one of the recommended test kits to give us a full set of test readings?
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

11. Back To Top    #11

Yes, I will go take readings now!

12. Back To Top    #12

Fc: 10
    ph: 7.6
    ta: 200
    cya: 60
    ch: 60

13. Back To Top    #13

Please add your pool info to your signature as shown here, Pool School - Read This Before You Post.

You have a lot going on in your pool and the information needs to be visible on each post so we don't have to dig through the thread to find it.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

14. Back To Top    #14

Updated
    19K gal, IG Plaster, 1 1/2 HP Hayward pump, Hayward S200 Sand Filter, Creepy Crawly, TF100 Test Kit

15. Back To Top    #15

Any easy way to tell if it is metal is to rub a vitamin C tablet on it for a few minutes. That will lighten the area you rub if the stain is metal.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

16. Back To Top    #16

I think OP did the Vitamin C test already. From what I understand it didn't lift immediately. Turned real dark at first and then after some time, the stain lifted. Every time I do a C test, I get same results. Freaks me out that initially it looks worse before it gets better.

17. Back To Top    #17

A stain turning darker after vitamin C treatment certainly resembles copper. Some dry acid in its place might work.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

18. Back To Top    #18

pool copper.jpg

I have ordered some copper test strips to see what kind of levels I have!
    19K gal, IG Plaster, 1 1/2 HP Hayward pump, Hayward S200 Sand Filter, Creepy Crawly, TF100 Test Kit

19. Back To Top    #19

Texas Splash- Any recommendations on what to use?

Have read Jacks Magic- The Blue stuff is good but pricey

20. Back To Top    #20

Jack’s Magic Stain ID Kit for about $15 is the only one I'm familiar with. But if you do in-fact confirm it's copper, you may have heard the metal routine before but I'll toss a few reminders your way:
    - Removing/exchanging the metal-filled water is always idea (if possible) to avoid continued sequestrant use later; or at least maximum water change to minimize the effects
    - Probably best to allow pH and FC to ride a little lower which might help reduce the precipitating effects between chlorine and metal; no doubt your last FC increase prompted this reaction. Hopefully you are algae-free, otherwise you'll be starting all over. So definitely make sure your water is algae-free before trying to manipulate the metal in the water.
    - If you keep the water (or most of it) and continue with chemical management, ProTeam's Metal Magic and Jack's Magic the Pink Stuff (regular) and the Blue Stuff (fresh plaster) are some of the top sequestrants. You're right, they are not cheap and will continue as long as you have that metal-filled water (if confirmed). You can also find other brands with similar products, some of which are noticeably less expensive. Sequestrants based on HEDP, phosphonic acid, or phosphonic acid derivatives are the most effective.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast