New to TFP and maintaining pools...need some help

Hi all,

We purchased a house with a pool and have mainly taken water samples to pool store and bought whatever they recommended. This season, we seem to have some green/yellow algae growing (its not bad and brushes off but does come back). We typically have used chlorine tabs and shock. I want to get away from that and follow methods on here.

My water is clear (tho, there are still locations of minor algae one sides of the pool). I tested the FC last night and this morning and it went from 8 to 6.5 or 7 (it was hard to tell). And my CC was 0 (last night). I suppose since I can still see some algae, I need to he SLAM the pool even tho I meet the three criteria above?

I do have a TF-100 test kit and I believe my CYA is 60. I am going to take to the pool store to verify this number as I know it is a subjective reading. If so, I know I would need a ton of bleach to SLAM.

Can I use this bleach to SLAM (and for maintaining FC in the future...it looks like the concentration is 8.25%)
http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-121-oz-Germicidal-Bleach-23008948211/203420868

If i can use this, would some please confirm I need this much of the above bleach to SLAM (taking FC from 6.5 to 24 would need approx 5.8 jugs of 8.25% if each are 121 oz:
FC.JPG

Help and insight is really appreciated. Thanks!

Welcome! You can use it, but be aware that it can vary in percentage strength and is not normally our preferred choice of bleach. Usually your local grocery store chain will have some generic bleach cheaper and more reliable in % strength. FYI - Never use a bleach designed for outdoor use only, splashless, or with any scents.

If you are using 8.25% bleach, it would take 7.5 gallons to increase FC from zero to 24.

FYI - I'm going to delete your other thread about the bleach since you had it in the one already. :) Nice to have you with us at TFP! :wave:

Thank you!

So, I would need to SLAM until the algae is no longer visible AND

• CC is 0.5 or lower;
  • I pass an OCLT
  • And the water is clear
Correct?

Is there any danger in running my Dolphin pool cleaner while SLAMing? Meaning, has anyone experienced problems with the cleaner when running during high levels of FC?

So, I would need to SLAM until the algae is no longer visible AND

• CC is 0.5 or lower;
  • I pass an OCLT
  • And the water is clear

Correct!
Is there any danger in running my Dolphin pool cleaner while SLAMing? Meaning, has anyone experienced problems with the cleaner when running during high levels of FC?

No, there is no issue.

Thank you both very much! I really appreciate it. If I could ask two more (for the time being at least) newbie questions.

Is there anywhere online in particular that people on here by there bleach to maintain FC?

Because I want to get rid of this algae now, I am just going to buy the following bleach from Wegmans on my way home (im assuming regular scent means unscented):
http://www.wegmans.com/webapp/wcs/s...toreId=10052&catalogId=10002&productId=764579

Do I enter 8.25% (sodium hypochlorite) or 7.86% (available chlorine) into the PoolMath Calculator for my %bleach?

Thanks again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.