Bronze Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Orono, MN
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I bought a Dolphin Nautilus Plus this year, have used it a few times and really like it. Problem now is the old pressure side booster pump which is never turned on is leaking. Seems strange to me but how much do you think it would cost to have it removed, capped, etc.

Thank you.

Less than $5 for the cost of two PVC plugs at Home Depot or Lowes if you are confident in doing it yourself....

OK. I am simplifying it a little. Few things first.... Above statement applies if the leak is actually at the booster pump. If you have damaged PVC, there will be a little more work.

2nd. I've seen a few ways that booster pumps are attached. If yours was attached via a "tee" from a main return line and then branched in with flex pipe, it's easy. Any chance you can tell us more about the leak and post a pic of the way booster is attached?

Thank you for the quick response. I've attached a few pictures and found the leak which is the first pic (it's coming from the skinny pvc pipe coming out of the booster pump). The middle picture is a bigger view of the plumbing and the last picture is the actual booster pump. Thanks again.
IMG_0549.jpgPool & Spa Valves Open 2.jpgIMG_0548.jpg

That skinny pipe where it is leaking is actually going into the booster pump. I know it's just semantics, but this way you can understand the direction of the water flow through your system (which is very impressive by the way). I was hoping this "import" connection was a slip fitting attached to a flex line.

It is probably leaking because the PVC is cracked, the thread sealer failed, or just needs to be tightened. But I don't know if you can tighten it because I don't know where the skinny import line is coming from. i.e. is that something that can be rotated or not? Either way, I got the impression you want to just cap it off and do away with it completely. Is that the case or should we keep the option open to reassemble it at some point in the future?

If you want to permanently close it off (and noting is 100% permanent), we make a clean cut on the pipe and glue on a PVC end cap like this:

611942033058lg.jpg

We would do the same on the outlet side. Although, on the outlet you have a nice fitting which you may be able to get a threaded plug for.

You can also make a clean cut, glue on a cap similar to above but one with a threaded center. Then we thread in a plug into that. (see below)... This is nice because it gives you the option to reinstall a pump in the future with flex pipe and slip fittings.

PVC%20threaded%20plug.jpg

How comfortable are you with cutting pipe, gluing PVC etc? Want me to get more detailed if this is something you want to tackle?

Thank you so much for the explanation! I am capable of replacing the thread sealer but that's about it ha ha. I was hoping to just leave the pump there because it doesn't work and isn't used but I don't like the leak. I'll have the pool service come out, cut and glue the pipe, cap it, etc. You bring up a good point about being 100% sure I want to permanently close it off. Will probably be selling the house in a couple of years and might be nice to leave that option for the new owner. Well, at least I will understand what the pool guy is talking about and can ask knowledgeable questions when he gives me the dreaded estimate :(

Keep your options open and listen to his suggestions when he comes out. Cheapest solution will be a cut and cap. Shouldn't cost more than a service call. The PVC caps and glue are an insignificant cost which he will most likely have in his van.

He may suggest fixing the leak and getting the motor running again. If the pump isn't running a common problem is a bad capacitor. That is not too costly and would keep the system capable of running your Polaris or whatever unit you have. It's nice to have things intact the way they are intended to be. You never know if you want to use that type of cleaner again in the future. Now if he tells you the motor is completely shot and suggests a new one then you can tell him you aren't looking to spend that much for something you are not even using.

I am in the exact same boat as you. That pic I posted earlier is my capped off booster pump line. My booster pump died and I barely used it being that I have a Dolphin which I prefer. But the way I sealed it off I know I can pop in a new pump any time I wish.

Good luck. Once the service guy hears you have some knowledge on your options he'll be less likely to try and pull anything over on you.

Said I would keep you posted so here goes - The pool service person came out on Friday 7/22 (finally). He told me to just shut off the booster (cleaner) pump valve and that they would fix it next April. It's not leaking anymore but a new leak up the pipe line has sprung. Haha

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.