Question about OCLT test

May 21, 2012
Kansas City, MO
So, I battled with algae in my pool for over a month and the water has finally cleared up after ALOT of bleach, vacuuming, backwashing, and testing everything (TF-100) for weeks. I was doing everything I've read here on the site, but despite it no longer being green, it was cloudy and just wasn't clearing up. Then, we remembered that last year, we had to clean out the sand in our filter, so we did that this past weekend, and after we did that, it literally cleared up overnight and we could finally see the bottom! Since it was still mildly cloudy, I retested and fixed my TA, which I found it to be at 40, so I brought it up to 80. I was mostly focusing on my shock levels (FC and CYA) before. My CYA is at 50. Anyway, last night I finally decided to do the OCLT test. After adding some bleach and some baking soda and waiting about an hour, my numbers were as follows:

FC = 7
CC = 0
TA = 80
CYA = 50

This morning, I retested FC and CC only:

FC = 9
CC = 0

Did I just not wait long enough after adding the bleach last night to test (it was just so late). It's pretty clear now, just a tad cloudy. Think it's safe to swim?? Kids have been super patient, but are ready to get in.

no issues, probably not mixed well in the pool or a miscount (it was late) :)

if you can see the bottom they can swim :)

They will help mix everything up and continue to help clear your water, you can also add DE in your skimmer till your pressure rises 1 psi and that will help your sand filter better

I hope this helps :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.