Water is foggy blue/green...help!

Aug 10, 2011
Hello,

I've been battling my pool all summer long. I have an Intex rectangular pool 12 x 24 (roughly 8,500 gallons). I recently purchased the TF-100 test kit and found out that I had way too much CYA which apparently helped contribute to the water not being clear. Several days ago, I replaced a good portion of the water to get it down to about 50 ppm, but I'm still having issues. About a day or so ago, I put in the appropriate amount of "no more green" (Acid Dihydrate, diammonium sulfate) to help with the algae. Here are my numbers based on tests this morning:

CYA 50

Chlorine Drop Test
Free Chlorine 2ppm
CC 5.5ppm

TA 130

Taylor Test
Total Chlorine 1.5
PH 7.2

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

One of the other things is that I keep having to clean my cartridge filter, which I didn't have to do last year. I have a 3/4 hp pump with a 25 sq ft cartridge filter.

Chris

Ouch. You're gonna have to burn off that "No More Green" with regular liquid chlorine... perhaps lots of it.. and then probably perform a SLAM procedure.

Liquid chlorine (aka bleach) is all you needed. We don't recommend the use of that product in pools.

Your cartridge needs cleaning because your pool has algae. Its catching it, and it has to be washed away so the cartridges can catch more of it.

CYA doesn't make water cloudy, algae does. It is important to maintain FC above minimum for your CYA, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA], at all times to keep the pool sanitary and prevent person to person disease transmission, especially in kids. It will also prevent algae from growing. The algaecide will not clear up your pool. Only chlorine will. To kill the algae follow this process, SLAM Process

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.