So not but two weeks after successfully converting my green lagoon of a pool into a beautiful summer oasis the FC levels had dropped while I was away for work and vacation allowing for this (what appears to be) black algae to take hold.
It seems to have formed in all the classic rough areas of the plaster which is very old and it's spreading like wildfire.
I have read several threads here on the treatment of this particular kind of algae and understand that every case is a little different and requires a little tweaking however the basic method remains the same. Any advice/criticism regarding my plan of attack would be greatly appreciated.
1) Raise FC to yellow/mustard algae shock level appropriate to CYA level.
2) Scrub with metal brush entire pool with attention to areas with visible black algae.
3) Maintain levels for 2-3 days while scrubbing trouble areas several times a day.
4) Allow levels to drop to high end (and up to 50% higher) of normal FC levels.
5) Trichlor tablet as necessary for increased efficacy
Chemical levels to follow in next post. As always thanks to the great minds that run this site!