Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Just had water tested

1. Back To Top    #1

Just had water tested

I can't post t signature yet so I will give some info.
    New Hampshire
    21st 52 in deep round pool built 7/1/16
    Cartridge filter
    11188 gallons
    Have a jumbo slo poke floatin in it
    Used 1 gal liquid chlorine last evening.
    Test results
    FC= 3.18ppm
    TC= 3.79 ppm
    CC= 0.61 ppm
    PH=7.7
    Hardness=21ppm
    Alkalinity=21ppm
    CYA= 1ppm (low right?)
    Copper= 0.1PPM
    Iron = 0.1PPM
    Phosphate = 1692 ppb

So I'm thinking of pulling out the puck and I'm guessing I will need to add stabilizer. This is before my pool is going to be in the sun today. Water is clear. Is this safe to swim in?

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Just had water tested

As you may be aware we don't trust pool store test results. For us to give a recommendation we trust you would need to post results from one of the recommended test kits. That being said if I were to believe those numbers then NO it is not safe to swim you need some CYA for the FC to bond to, 20 to 30 ppm for it to be safe.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm waiting for the test kit, so I have to go by these numbers for now unfortunately.

4. Back To Top    #4

We would prefer to do nothing than to make matters worse by following unreliable test results. We have seen many members create more problems or make matters worse when trying to use pool store test results or test strips. For example, w have seen pool store test results that say CYA is 0 or 50 or 100 and in reality it is 200 or 300. Yes, it is that bad. It is impossible for your CYA to be 1 if you are chlorinating with pucks, powder or granular "shock". Each of those products adds at least several PPM of CYA with each dose

I assure you that no contributing member to TFP would add chemicals to their pool based on test strips or pool store test results.

The only thing I would do to your pool is add 1/2 a jug of 8.25% bleach daily and brush.

It is safe to swim when
    FC is above minimum and up to shock level for your CYA, FC/CYA Chart
    PH is between 7.2 and 7.8
    and the water is clear
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok so I took out the puck and added cya in a sock in the floating dispenser. Should I just remove the cya and put the pucks back in?

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Without knowing your true CYA, neither. Add only straight chlorine bleach until your test kit arrives.
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks guys, I was panicking

8. Back To Top    #8

You may resume panicking when your test kit arrives.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

9. Back To Top    #9

Lol. All my FC is gone (pool store, I know, but it's what I have for now) FC was .32 and CC was .27. My test strips ( I know still waiting on that kit) register nothing for FC. So do I still add a gallon liquid chlorine tonight for my 11000 gallon AG? Is it better to over chlorinate? Considering my CYA was 3ppm ( pool people) and on strip reading in range.

10. Back To Top    #10

Yep, pour it in..
    16 x 32 17500 gallons
    Vinyl in-ground
    Hayward 250# Sand Filter
    1 HP Pump
    Hayward SWG

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by shandoug View Post
    Lol. All my FC is gone (pool store, I know, but it's what I have for now) FC was .32 and CC was .27. My test strips ( I know still waiting on that kit) register nothing for FC. So do I still add a gallon liquid chlorine tonight for my 11000 gallon AG? Is it better to over chlorinate? Considering my CYA was 3ppm ( pool people) and on strip reading in range.
    Yes, see post #4 above. Add 1/2 a jug of bleach every day and brush.
    TFP Moderator