Do I know what I'm doing? SLAM newbie...

Jun 23, 2016
Mount Juliet
Hello, this is such a great resource and I've been reading A LOT over the past couple weeks. Starting with ZERO knowledge.

So, we returned after vacation to a pool that had clear water, but lots of mustard looking dust on the walls of our 20,000 inground vinyl pool, with sand filter. Per pool store, CYA was 110,( before vacation). I had added a gallon of liquid bleach morning and midday and brushed walls many times. Husband added trichlor tabs (3?), knowing we would partial drain and refill after 9 day vacation.
So now we have lots (60% +) of new city water in the pool (I tested FC at 1.5 on sink water).

Pool is crystal clear, SLAM was started 7/4 evening with liquid bleach per your calculator, today is 7/6...too early to stop SLAM?
See results below.
Also is FC shock of 15 "too high", (CYA is now 30), hubby is worried about equipment? -- Because the CYA chart "*" says "not recommended" and our starting CYA was near 20.
Brushed pool this morning, still some, (slight and MUCH less) light colored dust kicks up here and there.

Passed OTFC, stayed 15, 10pm to 6am. But, the CC test confused me, so I did it twice.
The sample seemed to turn a very slight, light pink after going clear at FC 15 then 16.
Then CC test, sample cleared after 1 drop, then turned slight pink a couple minutes later, cleared again after 2nd drop... does that mean CC is really 1.0, don't stop SLAM? (And why?...if you don't mind explaining the theory of FC vs CC...or point me is okay too).

FC 15
CC 0.5
pH 7.5
TA 90
CH 200
CYA 30

Thanks for helping answer my ramble!

CONGRATS, from everything you have said you have passed the OCLT...

A couple of things, you may "want" (not have to) to keep it at SLAM level 2 more days if you still have "light colored dust" just keep brushing and it will go away..

CC: after it turns clear count the drops and throw the water out... you are done, it will turn back to pink as it sits but the test is over.. so you had .5 CC or less

Great job :)

if your CYA is 30 then your a little high for swimming, wait a day or 2.... when your at or below 12FC then jump on in :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.