Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How much is evaporation a problem?

1. Back To Top    #1

How much is evaporation a problem?

I have a 4500 gallon Kayak pool and I've had a small leak from the skimmer hose connection which I believe I have rectified yesterday. The amount of leak doesn't seem to account for the drop in water level I have encountered since I opened in May. I'd say I needed to fill up about once a week. I know we lose some water from kids splashing. I live in the Philadelphia area and I'm curious how much I should attribute the drop in water level to evaporation. The pool is in direct sun during the daylight hours.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Charlotte NC

Re: How much is evaporation a problem?

Here in the Charlotte NC area, when it's really hot, we are losing 1/8" to 1/4" a day. If you are concerned you may have another leak, place a bucket of pool water near your pool and measure the depth. Check it in a few days compared to your pool level. It should be close unless you have another leak.
    16'x48" Summer Escapes Pro-Series, AG, Ultra-Frame, Intex CS15110 Sand filter/SWG, 5061 GAL, TF-100 Test Kit w/ K-1766 Salt Test and Speedstir.
    Pool School, ABC's of Water Chemistry, CYA/Chlorine Chart, Water Balance for SWG's, Pool Math.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Davison, Michigan

My pool is in full sun and I don't use a cover (other than in winter) and I top up about 2 inches per week. It was the same last year (the first year the pool was up), so I'm assuming this is normal. I have no leaks.
    Karan - 18 ft round x 48" high - Intex ultra-frame AGP, Intex 3/4 hp pump with 14" sand filter (SF70110), Hayward 900 Wanda the Whale cleaner, Intex LED water fountain.
    18ft Round Intex Ultra Frame in The Mitten

4. Back To Top    #4
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

1/8" to 1/4" per day is normal.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach