Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to keep pool from turning green while I'm on vacation

1. Back To Top    #1

Austin, TX

Question How to keep pool from turning green while I'm on vacation

Hello, folks. Long-time lurker, but just gotten serious about the TFP method this season, now that I have my powerful pool test kit.

Anyway, my question is... I'm going on vacation for 2 weeks later in July. I don't have anyone who can really help maintain the pool while I'm gone. Assuming my pool is in good maintainable shape by then (which it's not, but I'm in the process of a SLAM, and it's coming along...) how can I keep it from devolving into an algae-pit while we are gone?

I was thinking of getting one of those floaty things for chlorine tablets, and keeping it dispensing chlorine while I'm gone. The teenager who is feeding the dogs can probably re-up the chlorine floater if needed, but I don't think I can ask her to do tests or deal with liquid chlorine or anything like that. Will this work? Any other tips to keep us from losing all our progress in pool maintenance while we are away? (It's outrageously hot here and promises to continue to be.)

Thanks so much in advance,
    Mom, tech support and pool scientist keeping a 5,000 gallon Intex-style above-ground pool safe for humanity.
    5K gallon above-ground pool with metal frame and vinyl liner. Sand filter pump. Have SWG but it's not working right now so I'm doing the chlorine thing.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Central Minnesota

Re: How to keep pool from turning green while I'm on vacation

Three things you can do when on vacation:

1 - Raise FC to the recommended shock level for your CYA just before leaving. See Chlorine/CYA chart.
    2 - Put a floater with trichlor tablets in the pool. This will also raise your CYA, so be prepared.
    3 - Cover the pool with a solar cover (blue or opaque) to help reduce FC losses to sunlight.

Make sure pool is pool water level is high enough to account for evaporation until you are returning to the pool.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Bunbury, WA, Australia

Or you could repair the SWG and fire it up.
    11 000 gallons, IG, Fibreglass, Monarch Sand Filter, Davey Typhoon C100M 1HP pump, Davey Chloromatic Mc16CTO ESR SWG, Davey Pool Wall Climba Robot, Daisy Solar Cover,

4. Back To Top    #4
    Tallahassee, FL

You could also set out pre measured chlorine for her to pour in the pool after she swims because we both KNOW she will! LOL

TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit, Become a TFP supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Rome, NY

How much liquid chlorine do you normally add each day? For example, can she just do a quart a day?
    Therefore no testing.
    Pool installed 8/2015. 30' round radiant pool. 21,000 gallons. 200# sand. Hayward Vari flow XL valve. 1.5hp Hayward Power-Flo Matrix running 10 hours/day in two periods. TF100 with speed stir.
    Order test kit TF-100 w/ Speed Stir and then Poolmath Calculator --- RECOMMENDED LEVELS --- POOL SCHOOL --- RECEOMMENDED CHEMICALS --- SLAM --- Chlorine/CYA CHART.