Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New kid here

1. Back To Top    #1

New kid here

Good morning everyone... my name is Travis. Just bought a new house with an existing in ground pool. The owners let the pool sit for a few weeks and it turned pretty green. This is my first saltwater & in ground pool. Just stopping in and saying hi... and taking in all the great tech articles on here. Looks like there is plenty of knowledge here to combat this algae! Wish me luck.
    30K'ish SWG vinyl in ground.
    1 hp pump
    Hayward Sand filter
    Hayward H40

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New kid here

Hello Travis and welcome to TFP! If you plan on taking 100% control of your pool and clearing that green water (and we hope you do), your first two objectives will be:
    1 - Obtain the proper test kit (TF-100 link below)
    2 - Review and be prepared to perform a TFP "SLAM" (link below)

The other links in my signature will help you as well. Great to have you with us.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by TDavis View Post
    Wish me luck.
    Good luck!
    25 + year pool owner. Current pool (going on 11th year) - 38K gallon in ground Gunite/White Plaster, Spillover Spa, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward 450k BTU NG Heater, Hayward Goldline Aqua Logic control with T-Cell-15 Salt Water Cell, Dolphin Explorer.
    You Need: Bleach, a A Test Kit & a Bookmark to "Pool School". Now what's your question?

4. Back To Top    #4

Good luck with your pool as I was in the same boat when we bought a house with a pool - this is my first "full" season and learned tremendously through this site (and doing them). SLAM works well and make sure you check / clean your filter - and I didn't turn on my SWG until the water is clear.
    25,000 Gal, in-ground w/ vinyl liner
    Hayward SP2303VSP (1.5 HP) / DE filter (4820)
    Aqua Rite SWG / T-CELL-9 (v1.5)
    Polaris 380, PB4-60 Booster Pump (post-2012) / Aqua Heat Pump (S95)
    TF-100 Test Kit with Speedstir

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to TFP and congrats on the new pool!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks everyone!... here is a pic of what I am starting with...

20160630_174533.jpg
    1 hp pump
    Hayward Sand filter
    Hayward H40

7. Back To Top    #7

Took me about 4-5 days so be patient
    25,000 Gal, in-ground w/ vinyl liner
    Hayward SP2303VSP (1.5 HP) / DE filter (4820)
    Aqua Rite SWG / T-CELL-9 (v1.5)
    Polaris 380, PB4-60 Booster Pump (post-2012) / Aqua Heat Pump (S95)
    TF-100 Test Kit with Speedstir

8. Back To Top    #8

Welp,went through the TFP SLAM... got the pool clear and beautiful. Just to find out my Hayward H40 chlorine generator isn't working. Consulted the google... and found a very helpful thread here on TFP!!!! I took the panel off, touched the current limiter and it crumbled. Got a new one on order and hopefully will be here in a couple days and I will re solder the new one in and pray I'm back in business. For the meantime, I will continue to monitor and add chlorine as needed.

All in all, I have had to jump through some hoops... but its websites like this that have a ton of useful info and threads that make owning a pool a little less scary.
    1 hp pump
    Hayward Sand filter
    Hayward H40