Ordinary portland cement versus white portland cement

Jul 6, 2016
Italy
Hello,

I have just finished building a concrete structure for a small swimming pool. I would like to go for a plaster finish, preferably grey. Therefore, could I use ordinary portland cement (which comes as grey) instead of white portland cement with a grey pigment? Many thanks for any advice.

You are in Italy, I am in California. We are primarily a US based forum and most of the construction materials we use are based on US construction methods. Therefore I am very reluctant to give you advice on materials because I not only don't know what is available over there. That said here it is.

Pool plaster is generally white Portland Cement mixed with fine sand and usually an acrylic fortifier. It can be purchased pre mixed or you can mix it yourself. If you were to buy Portland Cement and mix in the sand and fortifier then you would get a light grey color. But exactly what that color would be would not be predictable. That is why most start with white Portland Cement, follow a formula and add color because they want a predictable color.

For more info on DYI pool plastering

Look at this website (OK the guy is a bit wacko) Swimming Pool Plastering Do-It-Yourself Project

And this classic TFP thread DIY Pool restoration project

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.