Concrete Pool Renovation full overhaul

Jul 5, 2016
Toronto
i have a pool which has faced many problems in it's lifetime, and i've finally decided to remedy them.

the pool in question is a 16x32 ft concrete pool which is currently epoxy painted.

i would like to install dual main drains, new returns and a new skimmer, all with 2" pvc.

i believe i have all the info i need to start to undertake this task however i wanted to be sure.

Steps:

1. sandblast the entire pool (as it needs repainting anyways)
  2. core drill two old returns and install new, run new line to pad
  3. core drill two new holes for colorlogic nicheless lights
  4. cut out a chunk of the pool bottom to install the main drains, run new line to pad
  5. cut out old skimmer and replace, run new line to pad
  6. fill all holes with hydraulic concrete
  7. tsp clean pool
  8. acid wash pool
  9. tsp clean pool
  10. repaint with epoxy paint.

i'll be redoing the entire pad as well as i want it to be in an enclosed pump room.

is there anything i'm missing here?

i apologize in advance for the long post.

steps 1-6 are really the ones i want to be sure about. all the equipment i'm planning to order is in my signature.

I was too planning on adding two main drains.

We are in the middle of a major pool reno as well. You can check out my thread esp in regards to your lines/drains. Our pool use to have a drain in the bottom. Our pool pro recommended eliminating that drain. Some of that could have been a cost and time factor. I am not sure if those apply to your situation.

I did some research on entrapment and safety in regards to where and how many drains to have. Between myself the TFP community and the pool pro doing our reno this is what we decided.

Old set up.
Skimmer in the top of the deep end.
1 return line in shallow end
1 drain in floor of deep end with two lines. I believe one tied into the skimmer and the other was a relief line with a valve.

New setup
Skimmer in the same spot. I have been told this is safer than drains.
Drain in deep end eliminated.
Added a vac line above return in shallow end wall.
In the process of adding an extra return today. Placement TBD but somewhere near the deep end for better circulation.

Before the concrete deck goes on and the liner gets installed we will test this setup for a few days.

I have to agree with the plaster instead of paint. The longest I have seen paint last is 3 years :( Then it start chipping/flaking off. Plaster costs more BUT it also last a LOT longer especially if you use TFP guidelines for water management.

Main drain-I was SO excited to get a main drain......"oh I will just have it open and brush all of the bugs and stuff to it. Life will be so easy!" Not :( I still have to vacuum as nothing goes down the main drain even if I hold it right on it. Just not enough sucking power I guess. Now it is nice to help circulate the water but the skimmer and return does most of that work also so...........it is up to you if you think the amount of work/effort is worth while.

Kim:cat:

I was too planning on adding two main drains.

due to the fact its a fully concrete pool and our grading the hydrostatic valve is a must for us. our old 'main drain' was patched as it was leaking. that one was connected to the skimmer.

i'd like to install two main drains 3ft apart to be compliant with the entrapment issues.

to those mentioning the plastering instead of repainting, what would be the process involved in that?
would it still need to be sandblasted? since the pool is currently coated in epoxy paint.

For plastering it would be sandblasting or chipping (jack hammering) out the old plaster and epoxy to prep for plaster. I too was disappointed to see you planning to consider re-epoxying. New plaster will be so much better in the log run. Though not cheap it's the better way to go. Epoxy is the choice for a strictly monetary reason...

You don't NEED a main drain. You can have one (a pair) but what you are referring to is a hydrostatic valve to relieve pressure if the pool is empty to keep it from floating. Though sometimes they are installed underneath/as part of a main drain, they are usually just separate holes in the shell with the valves installed. Our pool has 4, two in the deep end and two in the middle, all separate from the main drains.
A main drain does provide an easy way to lower the water level below the skimmers but that can easily be accomplished with a cheap portable pump too.
If you are insistent in a main drain, check out http://www.poolfittings.com/ for their rectangular ones that can be filled with your plaster on top to blend right in. And the rectangular ones look better and are flush to the bottom to accept debris better.

my only reason for going with epoxy was the understanding that that's what i needed since that's what was existing before we moved into this house. the last time the pool was repainted i did take a look at the walls and they were bare concrete. i don't think this pool was ever plastered.

i do recall last time around it was very hard finding a pool company willing to undertake the work a concrete pool requires.

i'm located in toronto, canada.
if anybody has any references that would be a big help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.