Need to leave pool for vacay. Now What????

LittleTagAlong

Bronze Supporter
Jun 17, 2016
Amarillo TX
I've been working toward the goal of lowering TA because it seems to cause buildup in SWG. Almost there down from 250 to 125.The cover on my pool is mosquito netting because I can't lift heavy cover and I HATE bugs.:eek: So usually skimmer is almost empty. Anyway, at end of month, I am going out of town for a week or so and have no one to check pool. So what do I do before going to, hopefully, avoid having to do a SLAM on return?

Your numbers look good- you obviously have done your research:goodjob:

If you have a good feel for how your SWG is keeping up to ensure your FC is at the appropriate levels, you could run it either by increasing your run time or % time to make sure your FC level keeps well ahead of the minimum for your CYA of 80. As extra insurance and peace of mind you could even consider using liquid chlorine/bleach to bring your FC up to SLAM level just before you go.

Just watch your FC levels-you are just above the minimum at the moment -you never want it to go below minimum.

Thanks. I have read and reread Pool School.? I realized that the FC was falling a bit, the sun has been a chlorine-eating beast the last couple of days. And it's supposed to do the same for the next week. Will post my levels in a bit. I hope I have started early enough, not leaving til end of month. I want to come home to a decent pool.

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

Newest test results: Salt 3330ppm pH 7.5 FC 4.5 CC <.5 TA 100 (almost there) CH 175 Would have retested CYA but I'm out of reagent.
My plan is to add 12oz of 8.25% bleach in the a.m., then 18 oz of MA to drop pH and TA, then aerate. I may have to add additional water due to evaporation. Grrr. Once I get my pH and TA balanced, would it be good to add Boric Acid to keep it more stable? I do appreciate the advise and the encouragement.

Adding borates is an optional and I have personally never felt the urge to use them. I am happy with how my pool chemistry sits as well as how the water looks and feels. Having said that there are many members that do use them for different reasons and are happy with the benefits they provide. Have you read this article Borates- Why and How

If you were going to consider using borates I would make sure you get all your levels settled.

Have you ordered some CYA reagent?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Got the CYA reagent. Tested early yesterday, came up with 90. I was busy all day so I left pool alone for a few hours, filter and swg running. When I returned that lovely Intex skimmer was sucking air. SWG had stopped but filter was attempting to do its job. So I had to backwash and rinse to get them going again. Late in the day I tested CYA again. No water added yet, but now the CYA was at barely 80. The rest of tests were great, I think. Salt 3370, FC 6.5 CC 0, pH 7.7 , TA 80, CH 175. I will need to add water again. So does this mean I am starting over? Obviously, I can't leave filter and SWG running while I am gone, so what do I do?

Last edited:
(If I should start my own thread, i'll be happy to).

I am also leaving town next Saturday (23rd) and am currently battling a small dose of algae. We have had lots of rain here this week in St Louis (the pool was an inch over the Skimmer 'vent'!). My numbers are as follows:

FC: 15.5
pH: 7.5
TA: 60
CYA: 70
Salt: 3200

As mentioned, we have a small algae issue. At least, I'm assuming its algae... we vacuumed it thinking it was dirt washed in from the rain, and it came right back. Overnight. And our pump doesn't run from 11pm-6am.

We have extremely hard water. Even after just sticking my hand in to fill the test bottle, my hand & arm feel very blech.

I want to love my pool... even more than I do right now.

Thanks...
Cathy

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.