Hydrostatic Relief Valve diagnosis / replacement?

Gooserider

LifeTime Supporter
We are just looking at opening our pool this year - because my GF has been out of work since last August (anyone need a Senior Software Engineer?) we had been planning on not opening in order to reduce the expense, but the extended family wants us to....

Last year, I was seeing symptoms that made me think the Hydrostatic Relief valve (pop-off) in the main drain may be leaking. The pool is a 1980's vintage gunnite, and the valve has been a problem in the distant past, back when we still hired professionals to fix the thing, so I'm fuzzy on the details... Last replacement was probably in the late 90's - and the repair guy said that the valves usually need replacing every 15-20 years because the sealing O-ring dries out and starts seeping...

Symptoms - more water loss than seems reasonable for evaporation, plus need to add more salt and stabilizer mid season, which shouldn't be needed if the only loss is evaporation... No problems found in examining the skimmer and return openings, plumbing, etc. Basically the valve is the only thing not checked....

One of the problems is that I don't remember what the pool repair guy took out and replaced - how 'standard' are these valves? I don't know what make the main drain is, but the skimmer is Hayward, or at least the lid is... All I remember is that he unscrewed it and then screwed in the replacement, but no details beyond that....

Can the valve be changed without draining the pool? If so, should I fill it and get it swimmable, or have my helper brave the 'green lagoon' before I top it up? (local water use restrictions make draining / refilling sketchy from a legal standpoint...)

Any particular techniques for removing the old valve / installing new?

If necessary, would it be ok to remove the valve and plug the hole with a stopper while taking the old one to the store to get a matching replacement?

Anything else I should have known to ask?

Thanks

Gooserider

there a different manufacturer's of the valve so you will need to know which one you have to replace it..

Most replace them when the pool is emptied, I am not sure if it can be replaced when the pool is full..

I would confirm that the hydro is in fact leaking. Nothing worse than going to all the trouble to make a repair only to find out that it is still leaking. Fill the pool and get it clean enough to swim in. Dive down and remove the main drain cover. Assuming your hyrdo is visible, dye test it to confirm the leak. You can use a plug, expandable or otherwise, to seal the opening while you look for a replacement.

Many thanks - sounds like I will either investigate further after I get the pool swimmable, or possibly wait until fall closing...

Closing isn't a bad time since I'm already pumping the pool down part way. Not a big deal to pump it down to the point where it is possible to easily reach the valve without needing SCUBA gear - and then just let the winter snow bring the level back up....

ex-Gooserider

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.