NEWBIE need helpful advise 16x48 Intex Ultra Frame Cartridge Filter Pump Salt water

Jul 5, 2016
Florence, KY
Hello and let me first thank any and all of you that is willing to help a total newbie out. This is my very first pool ever. I set it up about 2-3 weeks ago and have REALLY enjoyed it so far, but I know I have a lot of learning in store. I have the 16x48 ultra frame with the Cartridge Filter Pump & Saltwater System. It's the one that has the 2 holes on the side of the pool for the intake (I believe that's what's it's called) and the larger hole for the water to go back into the pool. I have one of the intakes going to the intex side mounted skimmer that seems to be doing a good job. But I've noticed over the last few days getting a lot of debris on the floor of the pool. I've tried using the little vacuum that came with the pool (the one that hooks up to a garden hose) and that does an ok job but it seems like the next day there's more and more debris. So I started looking for a good automatic pool cleaner / vacuum. But everything I'm reading I don't believe my combo cartridge filter / pump / saltwater system is strong enough to run one. Again let me remind you I'm not fimilar with any of this or how it all works but I can tell you this... I absolutely want a clean of a pool as I possibly can have with as little maintenance as possible. So I'm coming to you all who know more about this. What do I need to do or what do I need to add on or replace with my current setup to get a very nice setup. Please help me! Thanks so much ahead of time.

Welcome to TFP :)

I am not sure how you are on funds so I will give some options that will work :)

All in one and done.. sand filter with salt water generator $300
Amazon.com : Intex 120V Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump Garden

sand filter only, you would need to attach and use the Salt water generator you have now (not to hard just hoses) $144
Amazon.com : Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump for Above Ground Pools, 3000 GPH Pump Flow Rate, 110-120V with GFCI : Swimming Pool Sand Filters : Patio, Lawn Garden

some others ill be able to help with the rest but I think you need these to convert your hoses
Amazon.com : INTEX 1.25 Garden

I hope this helps :)

Welcome to TFP :)

I am not sure how you are on funds so I will give some options that will work :)

All in one and done.. sand filter with salt water generator $300
Amazon.com : Intex 120V Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump Garden

sand filter only, you would need to attach and use the Salt water generator you have now (not to hard just hoses) $144
Amazon.com : Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump for Above Ground Pools, 3000 GPH Pump Flow Rate, 110-120V with GFCI : Swimming Pool Sand Filters : Patio, Lawn Garden

some others ill be able to help with the rest but I think you need these to convert your hoses
Amazon.com : INTEX 1.25 Garden

I hope this helps :)

Thanks Cowboy, Do you think i should keep the setup I have an just get the pump? Or does my current setup have any value to where I can sell it and then just buy the all in one? What about the skimmer? I saw some of those wide mouth ones but it looks like you have to cut your actual pool!?!? Anyone have any experience with this? If so pics?

:) :) :)

Ohh yes I do.... here are some pic's and you can also check my build thread below (pool: intex), it has everything needed to convert over :)

ywvf9H8h.jpg

7gHdQqzh.jpg

moIbg37h.jpg

GPTVPJ0h.jpg

nyMiMIFh.jpg

You shouldn't need the 1.5 to 1.25 converter since it sounds like your pool has the two intake hoses that attach directly to the plunger.

Also it looks like you may have been looking for recommendations for an automatic pool vacuum. I didn't explore down that road, instead I went with a battery powered vacuum, the Water Tech Pool Blaster Fusion from Costco. Much easier to use that attaching a hose every time. What you are looking for might be even easier since it will run every time you run your pump, but I'm not sure what you do with it when you're swimming? Since our pool isn't that big would you have to pull it out every time you swim?

awesome! How do you like it compared to the intex hang over the pool skimmer? I think I'm leaning towards just getting the 3,000 gph pump. Reason being it looks like it pumps more water than that all in one and if something goes wrong with my current setup then I can just buy this....

Amazon.com : Intex 120V Krystal Clear Saltwater System CG-28667 with E.C.O. (Electrocatalytic Oxidation) for Above Ground Pools : Patio, Lawn Garden.

Opinions?

Also if i just get the 3,000 gph pump and use my current setup will I need to buy any additional hoses or anything like that?

You shouldn't need the 1.5 to 1.25 converter since it sounds like your pool has the two intake hoses that attach directly to the plunger.

Also it looks like you may have been looking for recommendations for an automatic pool vacuum. I didn't explore down that road, instead I went with a battery powered vacuum, the Water Tech Pool Blaster Fusion from Costco. Much easier to use that attaching a hose every time. What you are looking for might be even easier since it will run every time you run your pump, but I'm not sure what you do with it when you're swimming? Since our pool isn't that big would you have to pull it out every time you swim?

Yeah my pool is the new one that has the 2 intake holes.... does anyone know what sizes those are? I don't want to buy those converter pieces if i dont' have to... those are $43 for 2 of them if i want amazon prime!

you will need to measure the ones you have to make sure they are 1.5 inch or not, that is the only way to know for sure :)

Yeah my pool is the new one that has the 2 intake holes.... does anyone know what sizes those are? I don't want to buy those converter pieces if i dont' have to... those are $43 for 2 of them if i want amazon prime!

Those two intake hoses attach to the single Intex plunger valve that has the standard Intex hose threads on the other end, correct? In other words those smaller intake hoses are not directly attaching to your pump.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
awesome! How do you like it compared to the intex hang over the pool skimmer? I think I'm leaning towards just getting the 3,000 gph pump. Reason being it looks like it pumps more water than that all in one and if something goes wrong with my current setup then I can just buy this....

Amazon.com : Intex 120V Krystal Clear Saltwater System CG-28667 with E.C.O. (Electrocatalytic Oxidation) for Above Ground Pools : Patio, Lawn Garden.

Opinions?

Also if i just get the 3,000 gph pump and use my current setup will I need to buy any additional hoses or anything like that?

I have the same pool with the 14" 2150GPH sand filter/pump. IMO the 3000 GPH is overkill for this size pool. My pump will break the surface with the return eyeball pointing up.

Well I just ordered the Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump 3000gph, as well as the Hayward SP1091WM Dyna-Skim & the INTEX 1.25" to 1.5" Type B Hose Adapters for Pumps & Saltwater System | Set of 2 .... so I hope this will be what I need and I won't need anything else to get it up and going!.... Should I just leave the cartridge filter out of my combo setup that I have now when I hook up the Krystal Clear Sand Filter pump? .... And can anyone tell me exactly how I need to hook this new filter / pump up? I have the 2 inlets, 1 will be for the skimmer, the other will be pulling water from the pool... both of these hoses will go into the plunger valve and from there it will go directly into the new krystal clear sand filter pump? And that will go into my combo filter / pump, salt water system that I have now which will just go back out the outlet into the pool? Please help!!!!

image_zpsch8sb6nh.jpeg

Is this the combo that you already have? If it is, you could disconnect that elbow from the filter to the SWG tube and connect your hose from your new sand filter to where the elbow was connected.Then, , out from SWG back to pool outlet fitting.The SWG tube is the only part of your combo you will be using, and I would think the impeller in the old pump would cause restriction, even with the cartridge filter removed.
I do not have the 2 inlet hoses to intex plunger valve setup on the inlet side. The intex plunger valve may cause restriction with the new pump & suck air. I plumbed my intex pool with pvc & pvc valves. Less restriction on flow.

Yes that is the exact setup I have... I've toyed around with the idea of just selling it and buying the intex E.C.O. seperate. But If i can make this work I will. So for the time being I will take the 2 inlets that go into the one plunger valve, from there that will go into my new Krystal clear sand filter / pump, and then from there it will go straight into that clear tube on the front of my combo filter/pump/salt water system by removing the elbow, and then just straight to the outlet going back into the pool?

Yep, that'll do it.

... im just wondering if i don't put water through the pump and filter... won't i run the risk of damaging the unit? Thats why I was thinking going from the sand filter / pump back into the back of this unit into the pump and have it run through the filter (with no filter in there since the water will already be going through the sand filter)... idk????????

the sun and heat build up may damage the filter housing after a long time, but the pump part of it sits out all the time anyway.In the winter, pools are closed for many months without water in them.If your going to sell the old setup, I'd sell it early on because you'll recoup more $ if it is new.After a season the whole thing may look used a little.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.