Buying new filter / pump / etc, looking for suggestions

Jun 29, 2016
Plattsburgh NY
Good Evening,

After baby sitting my Pentair DE filter for close to a week (bumping it every two hours, back washing it 2x a day), while trying to clear up a super cloudy pool that was neglected in the early part of the season while I rebuilt the deck surrounding it)...I think I'm ready to throw in the towel and go with something a little more maintenance friendly.

I work 4-10s and commute an hour each way, so during the work week I cannot give my DE filter the TLC it wants, and my pool is suffering because of it. Also, my pump is only .5hp so I just feel it's a good time to do an all out equipment upgrade.

Budget is not an issue, the main things I care about is quality and ease of maintenance, considering my free time is so limited. I think sand is the way to go for me, but I'd be open to cartridge as well.

So with all that said, any suggestions on what pump and filter to get for my 30 x 15 above ground?

I love me some spending money threads :) As you have found a DE filter is great for a clean or close to clean pool, if swampy they are a pain :)

Sand filter is the easiest but a cartridge is closer to water clearness as your DE filter...

What is your power rate? A VS pump may save you some major money if your rate is high, if not go with a 2 speed pump...

Sand: TR100
Cartridge: clean and clear 320, 420 or 520 I have the 320

pentair VS 3hp
pentair 2 speed 1hp I have this pump and it really is great..

I hope this helps :)

I love my cart filter. I add Purifiber to coat the cart (after cotton season) and it really polishes up the water. So I pull my cart out twice during the short pool season we have here in Michigan. I vac with a Pool Blaster so that helps to keep a lot out of the filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.