Would this silicone spray lubricant be good to use on new pump basket clamp o-ring?

Apr 6, 2016
Louisiana
Already had this stuff in my shop and I've used it many times as a lubricant with good results, so I figured I could just give the new o-ring a quick spray down on both sides with this stuff and be good to go before I install it. Would this silicone spray lubricant be ok to use you think? If not, no big deal...I can go get something else if need be. Thanks!

100% silicone grease comes under many labels. The propellants in the spray can damage the o-ring / plastic housing. That particular lube is a dry film lube which means it will actually adhere the o-ring to the housing slightly when it dries.

CJadamec is right/ anything that smells solvent or gasoline based is not a good thing to use. Or will damage the rubber and plastic. I like SuperLube synthetic grease in a tube. It works great.
Super Lube 3 oz. Tube Synthetic Grease with Syncolon PTFE 21030 at The Home Depot - Mobile

I thought you want to use a silicone LUBRICANT on the o-rings, is that synthetic GREASE the same thing? What's the difference between the one you linked and this one http://www.homedepot.com/p/Super-Lu...ing-Grease-with-Syncolon-PTFE-92003/202932697

Silicone & Teflon is a fine lube for rubber and plastic. Any petroleum based product is a no-no for this. For a quickie, I have used that exact PB-Blaster Silicone Spray on the the rubber seal on my Hayward Filter will no ill effects as well as on the rubber o-rings around the pump in/out ports. I do not believe it has any petro in it.

Now that said. Magic Lube by Aladdin is more pasty and when I really want to do a thorough job, this is my weapon of choice. It is pricey and made for pool use. But it really gets the job done. I always use this product upon my Spring start-up. They have both a silicone and a Teflon formula:

Amazon.com : Aladdin Magic Lube 1oz Teflon Lubricant / Sealant 630 : Patio, Lawn Garden

71Qp3TVsbLL._SL1500_.jpg

Amazon.com : Magic Lube II Silicone - 1 oz. : Patio, Lawn Garden

31t%2BnI7s39L.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.