Tampa, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Edge-25
And first thing I decided to check was free chlorine. Gave up at SIXTY DROPS and the test tube was still pink as a tulip. I guess I wait to turn the SWG back on until this level drops?

i didn't even test anything else...

Ok, I've had to let a few days go by in order to get the FC down to a measurable point (didn't want to waste chemicals). Here is what we have tonight:

15.5 FC
0.5. CC
Low PH, doesn't register 6.8 yet
100+ CYA, dot disappeared before I got to the first line
Couldn't test TA. Solution turned pink, not blue or green, at second step.

Water is clear, but I need to vacuum tomorrow so I will vacuum to waste and add more fresh water. Hopefully that will lower CYA. I haven't turned on SWG this week, but I've been running the pump several hours a day to keep water moving.

Oh, and water is about 88-90 degrees.

Your thoughts, and thank you!

Sounds like your PH and TA have crashed. Did you add a bunch of powdered "shock" and pucks to the pool? I'm guessing yes since CYA is off the scale.

Do the diluted CYA test to see what the CYA really is. Or just go ahead and drain half the water now. You're going to want CYA to be around 50 going forward.

Pool School - Extended Test Kit Directions

Have never used pucks. I was using shock once every couple of weeks last summer, and this year when my pool went green (April-ish) I used it two or three times, then went to straight bleach. Would that be enough to cause these numbers?

At any rate, rather than waste testing chemicals since I need to drain some anyway, that's what I will do. Are these numbers safe enough for me to get in and vacuum from inside?

It doesn't seem like it would be. Most pucks/shock bags add 3 or 4 ppm of CYA.

It is safe to swim when
FC is above minimum and up to shock level for your CYA, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]
PH is 7.2 to 7.8
water is clear, so you can see people swimming

Your PH could be extremely low, if TA is 0 then PH is probably 4.5ish which is very acidic. It would be good to raise PH to 7.2 and TA to 50-60 now anyway. More here on ways to raise PH/TA, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

I have tried Poolmath, but it doesn't seem to work with my iPad. I need to get on the computer and try it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sigh. Vacuum makes the pump start beeping "low pump" even though there is NO air in the hose. So I thought, to heck with it, I'll just start draining... and out of nowhere, bolt of lightning and crack of thunder. Clearly fate does not want me to mess with this pool today.

Hi, Kelly. Yes, lightning and thunder (especially the kind that "cracks" about 1/8 of a second after the flash) are not to be trifled with.

Never mess with Mother Nature. YOu can still get PoolMath up, though. Did you figure it out? Want some help?

Figured out what I was doing wrong with PoolMath... Yay!!!

But, I am beyond frustrated. I spent all day yesterday draining down to half then refilling, and my CYA is STILL over 100. Why?????

Here are today's numbers:

FC 6
CC 0
PH still less than 6.8
TA 10
CYA 100+

I'm getting ready to head out of town and will be back tomorrow evening, then at work the rest of the week, so realistically I'm not going to have time to drain again until next weekend. Is there any point in bothering raising PH and TA until then, since it looks like I am going to have to drain again?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, you are in FL too! Hi, Duraleigh!

Ok. I'll have to tackle that tomorrow night then. Hitting the road now!

i just don't get the CYA not budging, though. Guess I'll do the diluted test to see what it REALLY is, tomorrow night.

Okey doke, new set of numbers tonight. Also, I did the diluted CYA and came up with 140. That's after a drain this past weekend... can you imagine what it was before? :shock:

FC 3
CC .5
PH 6.8
TA 70
CYA 140

Ph has definitely come up, but needs to come up more. I assume I use the volume measurement in PoolMath if I am going to use a cup measure?

Also, since I need more FC, should I pour in bleach instead of relying on SWG? Can I use both at same time?

Thank you!

Oops, here comes the rain, lightning and thunder again!

Ok... After a long day yesterday of draining and refilling (and replacing the 1.25 intake and return with 1.5, since the water line was low), I am back in action with the following numbers:

FC 4.5
CC 0.5
TA 80
CYA 70 (WOOOOO HOOOOOO!)
PH 7.3 (it's deeper than 7.2, but lighter than 7.5)

So, if I am doing my Poolmath right, I could raise the PH a tad but otherwise the numbers look pretty dang good?

Because my numbers were such a mess, I haven't really figured out how long I need to run my salt water generator. I've been doing it for three hours a day. Any ideas?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and the Speed Stir! Pure genius!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.