Do I Have Algae?

May 24, 2016
Fl
I have a 14 x 42 Intex Above Ground Pool. So far the water has been pretty clear. Right now I am using those 3 inch trichlor pucks and put bleach in the pool a few times per week. Lately I am seeing what appears to be dirt at the bottom but when I run my foot across it, it just dissolves. Is it possible that this is algae?

If it is algae should I just attempt to sweep the bottom of the pool? I have one of those contractor brooms. Can I lightly use that or do I need to purchase a special pool broom?

Thanks for the help!

If you have algae, and it sounds like you might, you need to do a TFP "SLAM" (link below). Sweeping/filtration will not remove algae. To confirm, can you post a full set of test results from your TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit? Those are the only two kits that will give us accurate/reliable numbers to go on.

You can use the broom but you'll have to SLAM too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.