Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Do I Have Algae?

1. Back To Top    #1

Do I Have Algae?

I have a 14 x 42 Intex Above Ground Pool. So far the water has been pretty clear. Right now I am using those 3 inch trichlor pucks and put bleach in the pool a few times per week. Lately I am seeing what appears to be dirt at the bottom but when I run my foot across it, it just dissolves. Is it possible that this is algae?

If it is algae should I just attempt to sweep the bottom of the pool? I have one of those contractor brooms. Can I lightly use that or do I need to purchase a special pool broom?

Thanks for the help!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Do I Have Algae?

If you have algae, and it sounds like you might, you need to do a TFP "SLAM" (link below). Sweeping/filtration will not remove algae. To confirm, can you post a full set of test results from your TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit? Those are the only two kits that will give us accurate/reliable numbers to go on.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Do I Have Algae?

You can use the broom but you'll have to SLAM too.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter