Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: how to measure FC higher than the test kit allows

1. Back To Top    #1

how to measure FC higher than the test kit allows

And so I am simply curious. Should I have a need to slam my pool my taylor test kit only goes up to a 5-10 for the top of the chlorine scale. It has a color match scale of (i forget the bottom one) but then 2-4, 3-5, and lastly 6-10.
    If I had to slam up to say 20 (just for discussion) then how can I possibly know when at that level if my test kit only goes up to 10?

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: how to measure FC higher than the test kit allows

Quote Originally Posted by aodino View Post
    And so I am simply curious. Should I have a need to slam my pool my taylor test kit only goes up to a 5-10 for the top of the chlorine scale. It has a color match scale of (i forget the bottom one) but then 2-4, 3-5, and lastly 6-10.
    If I had to slam up to say 20 (just for discussion) then how can I possibly know when at that level if my test kit only goes up to 10?
    An fas-dpd chlorine test kit is recommended. You really can't measure accurately at high levels of FC with the color matching test that goes to 5. Even diluting the water will be giving you a guesstamate.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

You hit on one of the main points of the recommended kits such as the TF-100 it has an FAS-DPD FC test that can test much higher with .5 or even .2 ppm accuracy, thought there is not much need for the .2 ppm test better to save reagents and use the .5 test
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

4. Back To Top    #4

The FAS/DPD accurately measures FC up to 50 ppm. You can buy one TFTestkits.net
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

and so...with the test kit I have, I am out of luck for knowing true shock reading level. Looks like pool math (should I have to shock) is what will have to be good enough to obtain desired level. Unless I buy a different kit.

6. Back To Top    #6

Pool math can get you to shock level, but doesn't help you trying to maintain it. For example if you bring to 20, then an hour later you are at 14 you are still too high to test without the proper test kit. You would have to wait until you are way too low to be doing much good until you bring back to shock level again, which isn't a very effective SLAM.
    20,000gal in-ground 16x36 sentry pools vinyl liner, Pentair sand filter, Pentair minimax NT heater, auto-cover, Polaris 280 cleaner.

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

You also will not be able to test for CC that is a key part of SLAM. You can buy the 3 components for the FAS-DPD test separately but when you start to piecing things together you quickly get to the point it makes more sense to buy the whole kit. Since you are a supporter you can get a 10 discount at TFtestkits.net on the TF-100
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!