Vacuum to waste question

Jun 29, 2016
Plattsburgh NY
Good Evening,

Following the pool store's advice (which I have since learned never to do), I flocced my pool last week as my water was extremely cloudy when I finally got around to opening it up for the year. Suffice to say, I wish I could go back in time and have read your site prior to going to the pool store, but it is what it is. Anyways, I dumped in enough floc for my 15k gallon pool and let it sit, and for a few days I didn't think it did anything. Got a whole new grid for my DE filter, as the old one had some small holes that were letting it DE back into the pool, and have been dumping a bottle of bleach in daily while manually removing leaves with my net. Still waiting on my test kit to come in.

My DE filter is being a pain, I literally have to bump it every two hours or so, and have been backwashing it daily to keep it chugging. My water has somewhat cleared up enough so I can finally see a black settled "mass" that's covering about a third of the bottom of the pool. I've gotten most of the leaves, and when I run my leaf net over this "mass" it swishes around and settles back at the bottom a few hours later. Giving that mass a good look I could clearly see some of the floc particles mixed in. So apparently the stuff did work. I'm preparing to vacuum the whole mess out shortly. The guy at the pool store recommended that I completely remove the whole filter grid assembly from the filter before I vacuum to waste, the reasoning being that the floc and all that garbage would gum up the filter pretty badly even if it was passing into the waste line.

I realize its not all that difficult to remove the grid assembly, just was wondering if this was something normal and sensible to do.

Thanks!

The ideal way is for those people that had to add floc is to vacuum to waste. But when you vacuum to waste, you bypass the filter at that point, so removing the grids would seem to be a mute point. But for that short time you ran floc through your system to circulate it, it did end-up in the grids, so eventually you'll have to deal with those at some point. But for the main vacuuming of stuff that's settled, vacuum to waste and it should bypass the grids. It will go to the multiport valve straight out to the street/grass.

- - - Updated - - -

I should add this is assuming you have a multiport valve and NOT just the plunger (bump) type valve.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.