Sand in Pool- what to do about water?

dinolo

Jul 5, 2016
East Northport, NY
Hello,

So I am a new pool owner- bought home with an in ground 20 K pool. The pool uses what I believe is a Hayward s200 sand filter. I say believe because the label is faded. The pool when I opened it at the end of May was crystal clear!

I have been learning how to maintain the pool chemistry via youtube. I believe I've been doing a good job. Recently though I noticed what I thought was sand blowing through the returns. This has gotten progressively worse and this weekend I noticed the pool was now very cloudy and bluish. So I ordered the laterals for the filter but I think they will take a couple of days to arrive. I was wondering:

If I can use some type of floculant and run run the filter in the meantime to try and keep the water cleaner? Along of course with shocking the pool? I don't want to shock while the pool is cloudy because I read the the chlorine will just get used up on the debris. In fact I shocked the pool yesterday and free chlorine was in range and this afternoon (next day) the chlorine and free chlorine levels are very low.

Can anyone recommend a solution to maintain the water as sanitary as possible in the meantime?

Also- I had added some algaecide a few days ago- the pool didn't seem to need it but I figured to add some for good measure - the next day I noticed the cloudiness in the pool- I don't know if that could have contributed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.