Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sand in Pool- what to do about water?

1. Back To Top    #1

Sand in Pool- what to do about water?

Hello,

So I am a new pool owner- bought home with an in ground 20 K pool. The pool uses what I believe is a Hayward s200 sand filter. I say believe because the label is faded. The pool when I opened it at the end of May was crystal clear!

I have been learning how to maintain the pool chemistry via youtube. I believe I've been doing a good job. Recently though I noticed what I thought was sand blowing through the returns. This has gotten progressively worse and this weekend I noticed the pool was now very cloudy and bluish. So I ordered the laterals for the filter but I think they will take a couple of days to arrive. I was wondering:

If I can use some type of floculant and run run the filter in the meantime to try and keep the water cleaner? Along of course with shocking the pool? I don't want to shock while the pool is cloudy because I read the the chlorine will just get used up on the debris. In fact I shocked the pool yesterday and free chlorine was in range and this afternoon (next day) the chlorine and free chlorine levels are very low.

Can anyone recommend a solution to maintain the water as sanitary as possible in the meantime?
    In ground- Hayward S200 Sand Filter- 20K Pool-

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sand in Pool- what to do about water?

Without knowing what you've seen on YouTube, I'd advise forgetting it and starting fresh here:
    TFPC for Beginners
    Pool School - What is TFPC?

Sand through the returns will accumulate on the bottom, but it doesn't (in my experience) contribute to cloudiness. And if it is sand, chlorine won't get consumed by sand. If you have organics, you need to shock them out. What do you numbers look like?
    My Pool: 18'x36' Grecian. Vinyl Liner, 500# sand filter, SWG.

My hobbies: Brewing beer and flying rockets.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the reply- this is exactly what I was worried about- that perhaps the cloudiness is not related to the sand from filter- fc 0.5/ alkalinity between 90-100ppm/ CA below 30

4. Back To Top    #4

Also- I had added some algaecide a few days ago- the pool didn't seem to need it but I figured to add some for good measure - the next day I noticed the cloudiness in the pool- I don't know if that could have contributed?

5. Back To Top    #5

Certainly could have. Never add chems without a specific purpose and known target level.

FC is too low. Time to slam.
    My Pool: 18'x36' Grecian. Vinyl Liner, 500# sand filter, SWG.

My hobbies: Brewing beer and flying rockets.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the advice- will do- hopefully works-