Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Understanding liner cost.

1. Back To Top    #1

Understanding liner cost.

We're facing a new liner, and I'm trying to understand the costs. Using this site, I get the following for our existing pattern.

Group H - Blue Hampton 20 mil - $1544
    Group I - Cambridge 30 mil - $1739
    Group J - Blue Hampton 28 mil - $1836

Can anyone explain why the "Group J" is thicker, cheaper, and called something different? FWIW, our existing liner (Cavalry/Ft Worth) is labeled Cambridge 30 mil on the paperwork.

Also, our warranty shows 20% ($347) prorate at less than 10 years (Installed ~8/1/06), 15% ($261) for 11 years. Is it worth the $87 to change it now, or should patch and wait until spring? Anyone know if the warrant date is based on notifying them, or placing the order?
    My Pool: 18'x36' Grecian. Vinyl Liner, 500# sand filter, SWG.

My hobbies: Brewing beer and flying rockets.

2. Back To Top    #2

Ottawa Ontario

Re: Understanding liner cost.

According to your chart group J is actually more expensive which makes sense since it's thicker. As for the names, dunno.

I would look at holding off on installing a new liner. Wait until the end of the season when there are more deals. Of course, this means you will have to patch which also incurs costs.

3. Back To Top    #3

Actually I is thicker
    My Pool: 18'x36' Grecian. Vinyl Liner, 500# sand filter, SWG.

My hobbies: Brewing beer and flying rockets.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Longview, Texas

I have decided based upon my own unproven research, that liner prices are largely dependent upon the following;
    20mil with least attractive colors and patterns - least expensive
    30 mil are next expensive irregardless of colors and patterns
    28/20 and 28 mil with the most attractive colors and patterns are the most expensive.

In a nutshell, whatever is generally considered to be the most attractive to the majority will have the higher price tag.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge. Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!