Replacing Anthony light with a Pentair

May 1, 2016
Abington, PA
Hi All - Does anyone have any advice on how to replace an old Anthony light (Model NO. 20) with a Pentair Intellibrite 5G?

The niche is an Anthony Model NO. 21. Here is a picture of it.

- - - Updated - - -

Pool%20niche_zpson4mrazr.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

The old light fit in flush. The Pentair seems to be slightly larger.

Hi All! I wanted to give this thread an update on how I made out. Hopefully this will help some others in the future.

Again, the new Pentair Intellibrite 5G is larger slightly larger than the old Anthony niche. I called Pentair and after being on hold forever I finally got some help. They recommended that I get the Pentair Plaster Ring 79211600.

- - - Updated - - -

entair_79211600_zpsd4rxxcdp.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

Here are some pics of the plaster ring and light to give a better visual.

- - - Updated - - -

Pool%20light%202_zpsdrk0yedr.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

Pool%20light%201_zpsfjyrb9bj.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

Pool%20light%203%20-%20Copy_zpsagrgczdd.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

I mounted the plaster ring to the old plaster with some marine adhesive that I purchased at Home Depot. I made sure to do it a few days before the plaster crew arrived so it would have plenty of time to cure.

- - - Updated - - -

Pool%20light%204%20-%20Copy_zpslsrydhxp.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Take notice of the side view above of the plaster ring. It's about 3/8" thick. The plaster guys tapered that down beautifully so the light had a nice, clean flush fit. Also, beings this plaster ring isn't in contact with the old niche you'll need to be sure to bond the ring to the niche with some #8 wire. There is a hole behind the bottom tab on the ring that will accept the bond wire. We then attached that wire to the bonding lug in the back of the old Anthony niche. You'll see that lug in the first pic posted in this thread. We then used 3M Bonding Potting Compound (2136) to protect the 2 connections, as recommended by Pentair. If you look closely at the picture below you can see the black compound on the bond wire.

- - - Updated - - -

Pool%20Bonding_zpszcndzvbv.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the finished product right as the plaster guys were finishing up.

- - - Updated - - -

Plaster%201_zpsosel22yx.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

And here is the pool lit up. We are definitely glad we upgraded to the Pentair!

- - - Updated - - -

Pool%20light%20from%20above%20at%20night_zpsaa0j9mfq.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

Light%201_zpszw3zid5r.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

Again - I hope this helps someone down the road. Feel free to inbox me if you have any questions.

Thanks for this. Just registered because I had this exact problem. When I asked the pool guy who was putting in the ring in if he bonded it to the can, his face went blank. Now I'm making him get in the scuba gear and add the bonding wire.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.