Old pool, new owner

Bruski

Jul 5, 2016
Williamsburg, VA
Hello TFP! I recently bought a home here in Williamsburg, VA where I plan on retiring (form the military at least). The house come with a 33,000 gallon frog habitat, a seized up pump motor, and a leaking roof mounted solar heater. Here are my known stats as suggested in "pool school"

33,000 gal- 18w x 40l/3"-8" with sloping sides
Plaster with glass tile cap
Brand new Hayward Super Pump II @1hp
Triton TR-100 sand filter (600lb)
Jandy Caretaker 5 port
CL-(too small for my pool) chlorinator
The construction date is unknown but estimated at 20 years old
well water fed
5 way test kit but will order the TFP recommended kit
I also supplement tests with the Clorox app/strips which, so far, have been fairly accurate.

The pool was inactive for the last 1.5yrs and was only half covered when I received the keys. I managed to relocated the dozen or so frogs but could do little for the thousands of tadpoles they left behind. I credit most of what I've learned these past few weeks by lurking here but I may have finally reached a point where I need some help. I realized today that I never maintained my chlorine levels at or beyond the "breaking point" for any more than one day. I now believe that is the cause of by blue, but very milky water. My CYA is at zero so I will shock tonight with a few 1lb bags of dichlor in an effort to raise both FC and CYA. From tonight on, I will use bleach to maintain 10ppm until I can see the bottom. Thanks for all of your knowledge whether you knew you were sharing it or not. If anyone has a better idea to clear up my water, please let me know.

Mike

Hello Mike and welcome to TFP! From one service member to another - thanks for your service, and congrats on the your transition to civilian life. :salut: Before you get too far ahead of yourself though, let me emphasize to you if you didn't already hear here at TFP how important the proper test kit is at home. By all means stay away from the pool store and so-called free testing. We recommend owners use either the TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C (link below). Either kit will serve you well, although I would personally recommend the TF100. For algae, you'll want one of those kits and lots of regular liquid bleach. Please see the "SLAM" page link below. We'll be glad ot help you through that process once your kit arrives.

Also, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. Or you can click EDIT YOUR SIGNATURE. It will help us later. This link may also help you: Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post.

Great to have you with us!

Thanks Texas Splash! The TF-100 is inbound and I hope I just made my last trip to the pool store (CYA) I began the SLAM with a 6&1 granulated 6-pack in an effort to raise my CYA from 0 but it has had little effect so far. I began the bleach method today and will keep my FC at 10ppm until the milky clouds go away. Seeing little improvement over the last two days, I'm concerned that my filter may not be very efficient. Additionally, my caretaker pressure dropped to 2 PSI this morning; I'll have to wait until tonight to crack it open. Thanks for the guidance!