Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Loosing too much FC!

1. Back To Top    #1

Loosing too much FC!

Hello

I need some help. I'm losing too much FC every day and I can't figure out why!

7/4/16
    FC 2.5
    CC 0
    pH 7.8
    TA 100
    CH 180
    CYA 50

I added 3 cups 6 oz of bleach to increase FC to 7 (it increased to 6.5 later that night).
    I added 6 oz muriatic acid to decrease pH to 7.4 (it keeps rising, I'm guessing due to lots of swimming and splashing). I just decreased it from 8 to 7.6 on 6/30/16.

7/5/16
    FC 3.5
    CC 0
    pH 7.6

I'm going to add 3 cups of household Bleach again now to increase the FC back up to 7. I thought I read your only supposed to lose less than 1ppm of FC daily or else something else is going on. I live in GA and my pool temp has stayed around 88-90 degrees the last new days. Could that be why? But my CYA is in range with where I'm trying to keep my FC according to the chart. Should I keep my FC higher than 7?

Thanks! I'm still new and figuring things out. But I have to say, my water has been crystal clear since day 1 so something is working!
    Intex Ultra Frame 15' x 48", 40" depth, 4,440 gal., 110-120V Filter Pump, flow rate of 1,000 gal/hour, filled with garden hose. I use a Taylor K-2005 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Loosing too much FC!

You're more likely to lose 2-3 ppm per day with your location and lots of swimming, higher temperature will increase that. Also... keep in mind, you have a 4400 gallon pool. In my pool of 30,000 gallons, it's doesn't make much of a dent in the FC if we swim as long as no one is peeing in the pool. However, in a smaller pool there is a much higher relative chlorine demand from the same amount of swimmers.

Keep adjusting your pH and your TA will come down. A lower TA will lead to slower pH rise.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Loosing too much FC!

Thanks! That makes sense.
    Intex Ultra Frame 15' x 48", 40" depth, 4,440 gal., 110-120V Filter Pump, flow rate of 1,000 gal/hour, filled with garden hose. I use a Taylor K-2005 test kit.